Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: trying to retrieve files from corrupt windows

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1

    trying to retrieve files from corrupt windows

    I cannot boot to windows so I booted up to knoppix using the cd. I have an external HD connected via usb port. My linux for dummies book tells me I have to change the attributes to read-write. When I click on the black terinal like it says, I get the error 'KDEInit could not launch "konsole"'.

    I am very ignorant in linux. I just use it on one of our desktops to browse the web.

    Any help would be appreciated. I would really like to retrieve all my files.

    Thank you so much.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    Hi, I am offering advice without knowing much about your setup. But rather than asking for more info, let me first suggest a few simple steps. They are based on a few assumptions about a typical setup, but I may be off the mark if your setup is different. If these steps don't work, please come back with more info on your equipment and we can plan the next move. I don't understand why your Konsole encounters this problem, but I am trying to work around it.

    1) If Knoppix has detected your drives, you should see a number of hard disk icons on the desktop.

    2) Your Windows drive, if it is the common IDE tyoe will typically show up as hda1...hda2....etc depending on how many partitions you have on it. To retrieve files from here, you need to mount the drive (read-only is enough) Right-click the icon and click "Mount".

    3) If your USB external drive is formatted in the Fat32 file-system, proceed with this step. If not, skip to 4) below. The external USB drive should typically show up as sda1....sdb1... or something starting with s. Mount it in the same way as in 2). Now, right-click again, and click on "Change Read Write Mode". Answer yes to the prompt, and you have now made the external USB drive writable. Proceed and retrieve your Windows files and copy them to the USB drive.

    Hopefully everything goes well.

    4) Things get more complicated if your external USB drive is formatted in NTFS. Basically, I recommend that you do not try to use Knoppix to write to an NTFS drive as you may encounter problomes. I would suggest in this case to use another place to store your rescued data, such as a USB thumb-stick, which is usually formatted in Fat32.

    If the above does not work, there's a bigger problem somewhere on your system. Please come back with more info on your system --
    -what icons do you see on your desktop.
    - what error messages did you encounter when you tried to mount or change read-write mode?
    - what disks you have, what format are they?
    - you can't launch the black terminal. Can you click the Penguin and launch "Root Shell"?
    - If you can do that, what do you see what you type "testdisk" ?

    Good Luck and Regards.

Similar Threads

  1. Using knoppix to retrieve "lost" files..
    By paul23 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 08:27 PM
  2. Trying to Retrieve Information
    By ade123007 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2007, 09:05 PM
  3. using knoppix to access corrupt windows install drive
    By wselzer in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 04:25 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 12:17 AM
  5. Corrupt Image Files
    By Mycroft1855 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 03:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Catalyst C9300X-NM-2C 2-Port 40G/100G Multi Gig picture

Cisco Catalyst C9300X-NM-2C 2-Port 40G/100G Multi Gig

$775.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99



Cisco ASR 901 Series A901-12C-FT-D Aggregation Services Router 800-40055-01 picture

Cisco ASR 901 Series A901-12C-FT-D Aggregation Services Router 800-40055-01

$122.40