Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Device Help

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2

    Device Help

    So I am new to Linux. I run Knoppix from my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1100. The only reason I have a Laptop is for portablility. When I am at school my laptop is more or less a desktop. As a result I have a decent number of USB devices:
    • An Optical Mouse
    • An External DVD-RW
    • An External Harddrive
    • A flash drive
    All of these drives plug into 2 4 port USB hubs. And I am just wondering if there is a tutorial somewhere that can help me figure out how to get the hardware to show up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    If your running from live cd, then most, if not all your harware should show up and work. If you've installed knoppix to hard disk, all bets are off.

    To see what is seen on the usb system, open a shell and type :lsusb. You could also look in kinfocenter, (K->system->kinfocenter.)

    Just because a device is seen , it doesn't mean that drivers for the device have been loaded, This is where it get's tricky as you need to know what driver the device needs, and figure out if it is or can be installed. If you know what particular driver should be used , open a shell and type lsmod | more, and see if the driver is in the list of loaded modules. If not try loading it manually using modprobe.

    If this all seems more complicated than you want it to be, and if you do want to run a hard drive installed linux, I suggest you take a look at Ubuntu, which has better hardware support.

    If you want nitty-gritty linux usb stuff: http://www.linux-usb.org/

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the advice. I am planning on putting Linux on my hard drive eventually. I am just running Live CD versions of the different main stream cores seeing which on I like the best until I can get my drive partioned. I plan on running dual boot so I can keep the few PC games I have.

    Once again thanks, turns out it can see the USB ports but can only see the hubs not what is connected to them.

Similar Threads

  1. booting from USB-device
    By AugustQ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2006, 03:23 PM
  2. could not mount device
    By w0lfinator in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-23-2006, 12:59 AM
  3. ndiswrapper - no new device
    By sumithar in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 06:26 PM
  4. Cant use CD rom device "not a valid block device"
    By YuXeL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 01:48 AM
  5. PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available
    By Sadara in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-16-2003, 07:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00