I would leave the cat alone, do the partitions show up on the desktop after Knoppix boots? What type of partitions are they, fat or ntfs? It's still not considered safe to write to ntfs with Knoppix.Originally Posted by Bigun
I've got a buddies CPU here that I need to transfer files from one partition to the other.
Knoppix seemed to be the best way, simply because it has a GUI to makes things more simple. However, it seems Knoppix is not detecting his SATA controller, because when I cat /proc/partitions, it only lists cloop1.
Is there someone here familiar enough with Knoppix to guide me?
Here's his SATA controller:
Code:0000:00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
I would leave the cat alone, do the partitions show up on the desktop after Knoppix boots? What type of partitions are they, fat or ntfs? It's still not considered safe to write to ntfs with Knoppix.Originally Posted by Bigun
Arf arf arf...Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
![]()
No, only a CD-rom drive shows up, and the drive is a FAT32 format.
Does sound like the controller isn't support in Knoppix yet, you should have seen desktop icons for each partition. If you can't use windows for this I would try a distro of Linux that gets updates a bit more frequently and faster, such as Ubuntu or Mandriva.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Nah, not worth it, I just needed something that was GUI capable to copy file for ease of use, thanks anyway.
It would be good to see a lspci -n of that machine.
I suspect we'd see this
00:0f.0 1106:0591 ....
The vt6420 seems to have two pci-ids. This was fixed sometime during 2.6.18rc.. ,
It's going on my todo list to a build a Knoppix with the 2.6.18 (Avast!, A bilge rat) release kernel -
as I use motherbaord with this chipset quite a bit.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99