Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Problem with drive mount / setting read/write

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4

    Problem with drive mount / setting read/write

    I have a problem with my Win2K system. The system file is constantly getting corrupt. I have successfully used knoppix before to retrieve a backup system and restore the drive. However, this time, I can't seen to get the drive to become writable. I can mount the drive and I can see the files but when I try to Change Read/Write Mode, I get an error saying the remount command failed. The error goes on to say maybe there is another process accessing the filesystem, but I don't think so and I can't check anywhere to find out (at least, I don't know how to.) Can anyone help with this? Please?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    What type of partition(s) are you using with that system? My best advice is to not try to fix the windows file system at all, your "system file is constantly getting corrupt" statement seems to imply that this just isn't working. Use Knoppix to salvage any data that you want to keep, then reinstall Windows fresh (not an uncommon thing to do with Windows).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4
    I think its NTFS. But it has worked before. I understand your point though. Its just a shame that I don't understand Linux a bit better or I could just scrap W2K altogether! But I have so much invested in software at this point, I just can't bring myself to doing it. Does the error message sound like something you've seen before?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    The common belief is that Knoppix can't write to NTFS safely. There is rumor that maybe 5.0.1 now can, but few trust it yet. Prior versions were not safe and since you say it worked in the past I think it's likely that that has introduced problems that make the problem keep coming back. What part of the previous post was not understood? I'll give more info, but don't know what I was unclear on.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4
    You weren't unclear. I was just hoping I could do what I did before but I can't figure out why the drive won't mount in RW. I've got your message. Sorry to bother you. I'll look elsewhere for help. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4
    Problem solved. After a checkdisk routine, Knoppix was able to mount in RW mode. I made the file changes necessary and Win2K is up and running again.

Similar Threads

  1. Mounting and read/write access to my Vista hard drive
    By fergus in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 11:01 AM
  2. Drive won't mount and can't read superblock. help!
    By mobkon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 10:38 PM
  3. mount ntfs drive as read write
    By dcleghorn in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 10:46 PM
  4. Mount NTFS in read/write-mode
    By walterma in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 07:52 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 03:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99