Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: OpenMosix and DHCP

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    40

    OpenMosix and DHCP

    This might be and probably is a n00b question.....but, how do I go about trying to get a network boot using terminal server if there is already a DHCP sever on the network. Whenever I boot a computer it loads PWE but when it is searching for the DHCP server it always returns the main Windowz server instead of my terminal server. Thus the boot fails. Some times I can get the network boot to load but it is far from a sure thing....

    Another question I have is......when asked as to the IP range that the terminal server can delegate do i have to specify a range that is on the same sub domain as the terminal server itself? That is to say if the terminal servers IP is 192.168.20.111 can I specify a range that is 192.168.35.111 192.168.35.254? Also, is the range linked in any way to the IP that the client machine held previously?

    Thank you for your time and replies

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    At home I have a linux router that is a dhcp server and I can PXE boot to a machine running knoppix terminal server or clusterKnoppix openMosix terminal server no problem.

    However, at school (win2k) I cannot get the PXE boot disk to discover my terminal server. Go figure.
    is the range linked in any way to the IP that the client machine held previously?
    No, my machine that boots into linux with dhcp is 192.168.1.66, however when I gave terminal server the address range of 192.168.1.200 - 254 it came up as 192.168.1.200.


    rock

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    40
    This is my problem as well. When at home on a simple appliance based network it works. While on a server-delegated network, however, the connection fails. Any help?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    40
    Does nobody have an answer? I have fiddled with this for a week and gotten nowhere. Anybody! please help me. I really like the idea of a Cluster but need to try it in a workable environment. Any help is greatly appreciated even if it is just speculation on what the problem may be. Once again thank you.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    There is no simple way. If you have 2 dhcp servers on one network there isn't much you can do.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    40
    An answer I feared but suspected. At least I can put it to rest now. Thank you for your reply.

Similar Threads

  1. DHCP
    By renaxgade in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:35 AM
  2. Openmosix terminal server
    By cybervet in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 11:44 PM
  3. Fixed ip-adress in Knoppix to use openmosix
    By ktheking in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 03:53 AM
  4. DHCP ok but...
    By tyiooo in forum Networking
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 09:28 AM
  5. openmosix knoppix
    By mazogs in forum Ideas
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-06-2003, 12:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD picture

Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD

$200.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung One Connect Docking Station SOC8002B Black w/ Cable & Power Cord picture

Samsung One Connect Docking Station SOC8002B Black w/ Cable & Power Cord

$400.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00