Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Live CD dies at VFS Mounted Root

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6

    Live CD dies at VFS Mounted Root

    I am having a problem with a brand new homebuilt system. It is an AMD64 3200 running on an MSI RX480 Neo2 motherboard ( I think that might be a k8n but I'm not positive). I have a generic 80gb ide drive as primary master, a CD on slave, plus two more SATA drives.

    In general I have had no luck getting any version of linux to boot. I tried FC4 first, then FC6 because I thought it needed more recent support. I've also tried FreeNAS, a FreeBSD liveCD. They all fail in various ways. I moved to Knoppix because I've had the best luck using it as a troubleshooting tool in the past.

    In short, I'm using knoppix LiveCD 5.0.1 and even trying a 'failsafe' install it dies during the initial boot with no real error. Everything looks normal up to the message " VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)" and then it just hangs.

    The only other relevant message I get is using FreeNAS, it panics with the message "ACPI: Unable to load the system description tables"

    I have tried the BIOS failsafe defaults, removed and disabled SATA, and I've tried every boot parameter like no{acpi|dma|scsi} etc. I think the BIOS is current and I don't think I have any way to reload it anyway, as XP doesn't load either.

    I've exhausted everything I think I can do and I'm about to just throw it away and buy a new 939 mobo. Does anyone have any tips about troubleshooting stubborn hardware like this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    No need to throw it away. Kanotix has a good reputation of supporting even problematic hardware and it also has the latest kernel 2.6.18. Here is my advice:
    1. Download Kanotix-2006-01-RC4.iso from http://kanotix.com
    2. Burn it to cd and copy the iso file to the root directory of any partition on hda. The filesystem can be NTFS or Linux ext2/ext3/reiserfs, but not FAT32.
    3. Boot the computer off the cd and append cheatcode fromiso=K*.iso to the line of boot commands at the grub boot screen. As a result, only grub and the kernel image file will be read from the cd, everything else will be extracted from the iso file on the hard drive.

    If there's a secondary IDE channel connector on the mainboard, connect the cd-rom drive to it, set it to "master" and try booting again.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ockham23
    No need to throw it away. Kanotix has a good reputation of supporting even problematic hardware and it also has the latest kernel 2.6.18. Here is my advice:
    1. Download Kanotix-2006-01-RC4.iso from http://kanotix.com
    2. Burn it to cd and copy the iso file to the root directory of any partition on hda. The filesystem can be NTFS or Linux ext2/ext3/reiserfs, but not FAT32.
    3. Boot the computer off the cd and append cheatcode fromiso=K*.iso to the line of boot commands at the grub boot screen. As a result, only grub and the kernel image file will be read from the cd, everything else will be extracted from the iso file on the hard drive.

    If there's a secondary IDE channel connector on the mainboard, connect the cd-rom drive to it, set it to "master" and try booting again.
    It's great to learn about a new tool like Kanotix, so I can have that available to help me troubleshoot. However, my ultimate goal for this particular problem is to figure out how to get a mainstream linux OS on this box (an eventual file server). So I'm more interested in diagnosing what is wrong so I can isolate or correct it.

    Thanks again for the tip.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    If there's a secondary IDE channel connector on the mainboard, connect the cd-rom drive to it, set it to "master" and try booting again.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ockham23
    If there's a secondary IDE channel connector on the mainboard, connect the cd-rom drive to it, set it to "master" and try booting again.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the second IDE channel with the cdrom as master and the result is the same.

Similar Threads

  1. Wont Boot Past "VFS: Mounted Root"
    By simusid in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-28-2006, 07:24 AM
  2. root access to mounted drive
    By pieboy314 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 09:31 AM
  3. user should umount root-mounted-drives
    By dipsy in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 02:50 PM
  4. deb Install on a mounted Networkdrive fron Knoppix 3.6 Live
    By merlin232 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 01:39 AM
  5. only root-access to mounted drives
    By nightfrost in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 08:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99