I wonder whether Pivot Root Install is dead. That because I posted a couple of days ago that the latest directions to this regard on KNOPPIX.net do not work in my hands with knoppix 5.0.1: no PTY (ie no usable konsole), no "su" command, no user "home". That prevents doing anything easily, which could otherwise been done if the install were really debian. I got no comment so far to my post.

First, "knoppix26 single" does not work because "knoppix26" is not recognized by kernel 2.6.17, while "knoppix single" is recognized. I tried variants of "knoppix26" syntax without success. Moreover, the directions embody a number of syntax errors that shed a dubious light on everything one is going to do. In my opinion, procedures suggested on KNOPPIX.net should have been checked before publishing. If no time to do that, better leave the choice to the posted mails.

Unless I have done major mistakes, should one go back to previous versions of knoppix for Pivot Root Install? It would be a solution, although it will deprive the tool of much scope because older kernels may not recognize recent hardware. For the scientist traveling often for scientific reasons (with the prospect of finding the most various hardware where to play), the mirage of porting his debian i386 everywhere (with his home) is very alluring (actually the only reason to look at knoppix, because recovery from failures of a normal debian install can also be remedied otherwise). Unfortunately the scientist lacks know how to set in order a house that is founded on such a perverse stuff as kdm (I had to abandon kdm in favor of jwm window manager on my debian OS installations, both i386 and amd64, and start in the order X and kde when I need them). Ideally, the portable knoppix on HD+CD should allow starting from pure bash, from where to call X and then kde. The advantage and real value of a unix system is freedom of use; stuff like kdm may help until they work, otherwise they take all the time of non-experts without results. kdm reminds me what is chatted about Windows, although I do not know this OS.

To conclude, is still any hope about Pivot Root Install? Frankly I would be happy if my failure is my fault.

Cheers
francesco pietra