-
(nearly) final good news about pivot_root install
Hi Francky, Hi Malaire:
I invested today the sum of ten euros for a RealTech Ethernet controller, so that I am now able to contact this forum from my pivot_root install. Previous card (Davicom) was seen, though not put to work. RealTech makes even a faster Debian booting of Etch. With Davicom there was a long trial-and-error series before contact was established.
When you say "copy your Etch home into sda6 /home/francesco (knoppix-HD) you mean the filesystems existing in my Etch /home/francesco (not the whole /francesco directory in block) Correct?
Further, because wine is installen on knoppix, I should skip copying my installation of wine (present in Etch /home/francesco) into sda6 /home/francesco. Should knoppix wine not work, I should have to copy my installation (unfortunately not recorded which native dll were used: without them I was unable to install the database, although it may well be that now wine has newer dll that work).
If I would be asked about a single suggestion for unix-type environments, I would say: make a unix-native strong free-form database. In scanning the literature, learning, and taking notices, we can not use relational fully structured databases (for a number of valid reasons that I am not going to bother you with now). However, the free-form database should perform Boolean search, and very rapidly so, and should also allow to mark text so that it becomes a field. And should also allow aritmetic search: if you ask me which sponges (or a class, order or species, etc, of them) have been fished in between 20 and 40 meters depth, I can tell you in seconds through my database running on wine.
Cheers
francesco
Similar Threads
-
By detsiwt in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-19-2007, 08:21 PM
-
By Francesco Pietra in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-08-2006, 10:44 PM
-
By Francesco Pietra in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-07-2006, 09:25 AM
-
By Evil One in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-28-2005, 06:45 AM
-
By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 14
Last Post: 09-13-2003, 12:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Pendrive High Speed Data Storage
$10.10

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$49.99

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic
$24.95