Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Boot Knoppix on Compaq Deskpro

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5

    Boot Knoppix on Compaq Deskpro

    Hello,
    This is my first time, so be gentle.
    I have downloaded the Knoppix ISO image twice and burned it each time to a new CD. I set my Compaq Deskpro to boot from CD-Rom first. ( I have a 20Gig disk that shows 18.56 Gig available, no other partitions, 256Mb. of Ram and Celeron 496Mhz processor, and Windows ME as primary OS). The CD starts to boot and everything is configured, then a pretty female voice says something like "initiating start up procedure". The light on the CD-Rom blinks for another minute and then the screen goes completely black and the CD stops and nothing happens. I then give the "Three finger salute" and the pretty voice comes on again and says shutdown sequence has started. That's it.

    Am I missing something here. The first time I downloaded it http: the second time I downloaded it ftp from Florida St.Univ.. I tried to check the checksums with MD5x and the generated checksums showed green, but the check files showed red.

    Please Help!
    e.newed

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Boot Knoppix on Compaq Deskpro

    --Did you try any cheat codes, such as ' vga=normal ' or anything to do with the X server... What video card/monitor do you have?

    Quote Originally Posted by e.newed
    Hello,
    This is my first time, so be gentle.
    I have downloaded the Knoppix ISO image twice and burned it each time to a new CD. I set my Compaq Deskpro to boot from CD-Rom first. ( I have a 20Gig disk that shows 18.56 Gig available, no other partitions, 256Mb. of Ram and Celeron 496Mhz processor, and Windows ME as primary OS). The CD starts to boot and everything is configured, then a pretty female voice says something like "initiating start up procedure". The light on the CD-Rom blinks for another minute and then the screen goes completely black and the CD stops and nothing happens. I then give the "Three finger salute" and the pretty voice comes on again and says shutdown sequence has started. That's it.

    Am I missing something here. The first time I downloaded it http: the second time I downloaded it ftp from Florida St.Univ.. I tried to check the checksums with MD5x and the generated checksums showed green, but the check files showed red.

    Please Help!
    e.newed

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5

    Start Knoppix with Compaq Deskpro

    Thanks for responding Dave. I'm very new to Linux and thought using Knoppix would give me some hands on experience. So I'm not sure where or when to invoke those commands. As far as my system here is the info: COMPAQ 150
    [1024x768 Max Res.]
    Intel[r]
    800x600 in 64k Colors

    ********************
    * System Summary *
    ********************


    < Hardware >
    Processor: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 6 496 MHz Stepping 5
    Math Support: On Chip
    BIOS: Compaq 03/10/99
    Bus Type: PCI,ISA,USB
    Ports: 1 Parallel, 2 Serial
    Memory: 255 MB (91% Utilized)
    Floppy Disks: 1.44 MB
    Hard Disks: 18.65 GB
    Multimedia: Sound, Joystick, CD-ROM
    Video: 800x600 in 64K Colors, Intel(r) 82810-DC100 Graphics Controller 4.12.01.2604 Ver. 4.0

    < Operating System >
    Windows: 4.90 (Build 3000 )
    DOS: 8.0
    Net Clients:
    Microsoft Network
    I hope that gives you enough info. to see what I'm working with. If you could give instructions about if and where I would invoke commands that would be appreciated also. Thanks, E.NEWED

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Start Knoppix with Compaq Deskpro

    Quote Originally Posted by e.newed
    If you could give instructions about if and where I would invoke commands that would be appreciated also.
    At the boot: in the startup screen try entering knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA xmodule=i810 noddc screen=800x600 or knoppix vga=normal noddc screen=800x600 for the cheat code.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.7 no boot on Compaq
    By opmvz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 02:01 PM
  2. compaq s3000ns Wont boot
    By spaceinvader001 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 06:50 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 05:51 PM
  4. Compaq Deskpro sound card not detected
    By RobertB in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 06:20 PM
  5. Won't Boot - Compaq 906us
    By genxian316 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 10:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari 2600 Game Lot - Clean & Tested; Pick Your Favs Combined S&H w/ Other Lots picture

Atari 2600 Game Lot - Clean & Tested; Pick Your Favs Combined S&H w/ Other Lots

$4.98



Project One & Project II Set Atari Jaguar Cartridges Complete CIB Both Games picture

Project One & Project II Set Atari Jaguar Cartridges Complete CIB Both Games

$249.99



Atari Jaguar Downfall+ Cartridge Complete CIB 2014 Authentic picture

Atari Jaguar Downfall+ Cartridge Complete CIB 2014 Authentic

$299.99



Atari Jaguar Beach Volley Cartridge Ocean CIB picture

Atari Jaguar Beach Volley Cartridge Ocean CIB

$299.99



Atari 2600 - Activision - Rare - Prototype Cartridge  Unreleased Lot Untested picture

Atari 2600 - Activision - Rare - Prototype Cartridge Unreleased Lot Untested

$1200.00



Atari Lynx II Handheld Console w/ Paperboy And Case Tested Working Vintage picture

Atari Lynx II Handheld Console w/ Paperboy And Case Tested Working Vintage

$249.99



Vintage Atari 800 Game Cartridges (Some with manuals) picture

Vintage Atari 800 Game Cartridges (Some with manuals)

$20.00



ANTS Atari Jaguar Cartridge CIB Complete picture

ANTS Atari Jaguar Cartridge CIB Complete

$149.99



Atari Video Game Console Arcade Man Cave Advertising Clock Sign picture

Atari Video Game Console Arcade Man Cave Advertising Clock Sign

$37.99



My Arcade GameStation Pro Atari Retro Video Game Console Universal System picture

My Arcade GameStation Pro Atari Retro Video Game Console Universal System

$49.99