Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: HOWTO burn KNOPPIX DVD?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    HOWTO burn KNOPPIX DVD?

    Hi All!

    I'm new to DVD burns and such. So, please bear with me.

    I need to know what is the latest version of the KNOPPIX DVD and where to get it.

    Also, can I burn a DVD with cdrecord like I do a CDR?

    TIA,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Catalonia (not spain)
    Posts
    5
    try to use emule, you know this p2p software? :PPPPPpppPPPP

    well, the best way is to get a knoppix5.ISO

    take the NERO and select the option OPEN (file -> up - left)

    open where you have the iso and follow the instructions

    un saludo.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Forget about emule (really really bad advice), follow the Get Knoppix link near the top of this page and use BuitTorrent. See the Downloading faq in the wiki for lotys more info.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Catalonia (not spain)
    Posts
    5
    i prefer via ftp

    there ara many ways to find it with google.

    torrent sometimes is very slow, with ftp i download 100k/s and my conection is very poor...

    Knoppix 5.0 LiveDVD (ftp://ftp.caliu.info/pub/distribucio...2006-04-07.iso)
    Knoppix 5.0 LiveDVD (Mirror2) (ftp://www.cdlibre.org/pub/KNOPPIX/KN...2006-04-07.iso)
    Knoppix 5.0 LiveDVD (Mirror3) (ftp://www.cdlibre.org/pub/KNOPPIX/KN...2006-04-07.iso)
    Knoppix 5.0 LiveDVD (Mirror4) (ftp://www.cdlibre.org/pub/KNOPPIX/KN...2006-04-07.iso)

    for example

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by koper
    torrent sometimes is very slow
    Knoppix has a hugh number of seeders and in the last year or so BitTorrent has been much faster than the mirrors as long as you have your firewall configured properly (otherwise BitTorrent is slow, you must configure your system to allow the inbound connections). The mirrors still exist for those who can't use BitTorrent, such as those behind a corporate firewall. I have had about 50% corrupt downloads from the much slower mirrors before BitTorrent downloads became available, so I certainly feel it's worth avoiding them for a faster reliable download on a properly configured BitTorrent system.

    Certainly some other torrent that is not as well seeded as Knoppix could be slow if it had few or even one seeder on slow feeds. But if you're seeing slower downloads on BT with Knoppix something is wrong on your end and you shouldn't spread bad advice that BitTorrent is slower, which it is not. If your ISP is deliberately slowing BT connections, try movng your BT connection to a non-standard port number (which is easy to do in BitTorrent). If your ISP examines the packets and still slows BitTorrent, consider switching ISPs, but you shouldn't post general statements about BitTorrent that are false without explaining or understanding what your particular problem is.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, let me use bittorrent. I haven't used it in a while. I download the torrent file and then issue what shell command? I seem to remember something like btcurses, is that right?

    Oh, and as far all burning the dvd, can I use cdrecord? For cdrs I currently use a commandline like:

    Code:
    cdrecord -v dev=/dev/cdrom speed=16 *.iso
    Can I do something similar for dvds?

    TIA,
    AJG

    PS: its btdownloadcurses

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Wow, that bittorent worked like a charm!

    I never got better than 400Kbps downloads on my cable modem from an ftp site.

    Using bittorent I got up to about 1100KB/s=8800Kbps downloading the CD ISO and 1300KB/s=10400Kbps for the DVD ISO!

    Thanx,
    AJG

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, I couldn't get cdrecord to recognize my dvd burner.

    So, I used K3B to burn the KNOPPIX 5.0.1 DVD without a hitch!

    Isn't K3B just a GUI frontend for cdrecord?

    Thanx,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. HOWTO: Customising/Upgrading the Kernel - An Evolving HowTo
    By firnsy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 01:52 PM
  2. How do I burn Knoppix
    By Warwizard in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 06:06 PM
  3. burn baby burn!
    By tup34 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 06:23 PM
  4. How do i burn knoppix??
    By mikelaw101 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-13-2003, 11:11 PM
  5. HOWTO: Script to burn MP3 files to CD
    By Dave_Bechtel in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 11:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$36.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Full Version MS Office Professional Plus 2021 - 64-Bit Flash USB Drive Install picture

Full Version MS Office Professional Plus 2021 - 64-Bit Flash USB Drive Install

$59.99



Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick

$165.90