Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Cant write to system32 folder in Knoppix

  1. #1

    Cant write to system32 folder in Knoppix

    Recently my windows 2k installation stopped booting because it's missing a ceartian "l_intl.nls" file in the WINNT/SYSTEM32 folder. I got the file from another comp and put it on a floppy to put on the broken comp using a knoppix 5.0 live CD. I enabled write permissions for the NTFS drive (yeah yeah it'll corrupt it, ect.) and got it to allow file writing. I can successfully write files to any directory on the drive. That is, any directory EXCEPT the SYSTEM32 folder. When I attempt to drag the file to the hd1a/WINNT/SYSTEM32 folder, I get an error message saying I dont have permission.

    I dont know too much about linux, but I find it extremely odd that it would recignize the Windows system folder as different from any other folder. I pretty much need to make this work or reformat, so any help would be really appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    That's strange. I was able to write to an XP system32 folder.

    Try using the command line with the cp command from the root shell, or use konqueror as root.

  3. #3
    Didnt work. I got the message

    cp: cannot create regular file `/media/hda1/WINNT/system32/l_intl.nls': File exists

    It get the same message with the -f parameter/

Similar Threads

  1. c\windows\system32\config\system Error - need Knoppix
    By NYC in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 05:08 PM
  2. Where does knoppix create a folder?
    By sdk1985 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 01:39 PM
  3. No write access unless mounted in my $ folder
    By jreidy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-2007, 06:50 PM
  4. Can knoppix help me with a system32/config/software problem?
    By kasparhauser in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 09:06 PM
  5. Knoppix Folder.
    By ScrewzLuse in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)  picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)

$150.00