-
Using Knoppix for scsi tape-based disaster recovery
I generally work on computers with the premise "Worry now when I'm not in a hurry so when I REALLY have a problem, I know what to do and I know I've done it before", so...
I have FC5 up and running and can make dumps of disk partitions. The dumps look good when reviewed interactively with restore.
Problem is... how to read the dumps when the system is up in smoke, whether literally or figuratively.
Tried using FC5 install CD in rescue mode but won't find SCSI devices, so no /dev/nst0 device definition.
Knoppix DVD gets me further, but no cigar. It recognizes the tape and I can manipulate it with mt, but restore just comes back and says there's nothing on the tape.
Is this because I made the dumps with hardware compression on and I haven't been able to figure out how to set the /dev/nst0 device to use hardware compression?
It seems that the devices are read-only, so I can't use commands like:
# mt -f /dev/nst0 compression 1
or
# mt -f /dev/nst0 defcompression 1
The mt command is working okay since "# mt -f /dev/nst0 rewoff" kicks the tape back out like it should.
I can't help but wonder if there's some difference between dump/restore on Knoppix and FC5, but somehow that seems abhorrent.
Any suggestions?
-
I obviously stayed up too late.
I couldn't change defaults like:
#mt -f /dev/nst0 defcompression 1
but I could do:
#mt -f /dev/nst0 compression 1
The solution to my problem was to do:
#mt -f /dev/nst0 compression 1
#mt -f /dev/nst0 setblk 0
Then restore operations succeeded.
Mystery solved.
Similar Threads
-
By rwag66 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-29-2005, 09:03 AM
-
By jpretti in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-10-2004, 06:14 PM
-
By Jansch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-23-2004, 04:29 PM
-
By el_supremo in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-10-2004, 03:28 AM
-
By pilovis in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-28-2003, 09:17 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used
$220.00

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00