I would just run e2fsck /dev/sda6 before that mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/new_root command.Originally Posted by Francesco Pietra
Then the device won't be mounted while running e2fsck.
On commanding
#mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/new_root
in order to mount an external usb hd in a pivot_root install of knoppix 5.0.1 I got the message:
EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
sda6 could be mounted nonetheless and I see what I wanted to see: libmotif3 for unstable, which I wanted to install in place of the Sarge version. The latter does not allow openmotif to function. At this point, however, I prefer to wait:
CHANGED MIND BECAUSE, KNOWING MOTIF, I WAS NEARLY SURE TO HIT GOLD: in fact, with the library for unstable my molecular modeling package runs beautifully like in Etch
I know to be with pivot in "uncharted waters" and I also know that running e2fsck on mounted devices requires special expertise and is in any case a risk.
Suggestions? THAT PROBLEM REMAINS AND I CAN ADD THAT SDA6 IS CONNECTED ALSO WHEN ON ETCH, USING IT FOR BACKUP; IMPLICITLY, FILESYSTEM EXT3. BECAUSE IT SEEMS THAT EVERYTHING CAN BE DONE WITH PIVOT_ROOT, THAT STORY OF "MOUNT COUNT" IS DISTURBING.
cheers
francesco
I would just run e2fsck /dev/sda6 before that mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/new_root command.Originally Posted by Francesco Pietra
Then the device won't be mounted while running e2fsck.
I forgot to mention that the true Debian Etch mounts the external usb hd sda6 (automatically because it is in fstab) without any warning signal. Therefore, that "mount count" warning signal must be related to knoppix.
Cheers
francesco
Sorry for posting and then adding.
Is that the "reached max mount count" warning is related to not having umounted the external usb hd before exiting knoppix?
Exiting kde and <shutdown -h now> from terminal window (as I am used to do) works on a linux native partition (ext3fs) on the external usb hd which is mounted and is root.
I vaguely remember that umounting that root partition creates problems to knoppix.
Perhaps this is the major issue to solve about pivot_root install.
cheers
francesco
Usually it's just that after you have mounted the partition certain amount of times, you get this warning and are encouraged to run e2fsck.Originally Posted by Francesco Pietra
man tune2fs speaks about this a bit.
YOU: Usually it's [mac count reached] just that after you have mounted the partition certain amount of times, you get this warning and are encouraged to run e2fsck.
ME: Why no warning when that partition is mounted on true Debian etch? At any event, could you suggest how to run e2fsck? With pivot_root install that partition is root, therefore running e2fsck may be risky. I could well run e2fsck from true Debian etch, however: is that expected to be safe?
Thank you
francesco
Solved. Simply started true Debian etch, where
#umount /dev/sda6
#fsck /dev/sda6
cheers
francesco

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99
Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00