-
AltGr key not recognized.
Hello.
I'm running the latest Knoppix-DVD on Qemu under Windose XP. I've given the following options on the boot line:
Code:
knoppix lang=fi keyboard=fi xkeyboard=fi desktop=fluxbox
However, the AltGr key doesn't seem to be recognized at all. For example, the '@' sign on the Finnish keyboard is produced by pressing AltGr+2, but on Knoppix this doesn't work. Neither works any key combination which involves pressing AltGr. This problem concerns both xterm (on fluxbox anyway) and text console. I don't know about Alt or Ctrl keys whether they're working or not. The AltGr is the key I'm interested in.
Could someone please help me with this?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hello,
Would you consider using KDE?
I know the keyboard=fi xkeyboard=fi cheat definitely works in KDE. In KDE you can check the keyboard setting and even change the setting while a session is running. At the bottom right, you should see a small country flag. This represents the keyboard setting. It should show a small Finnish flag. Click on the flag to change the keyboard settings. If you don't see a flag you want, you can add a keyboard layout. Go to Control Center->Regional and Accessibility->Keyboard layouts. Select the keyboard layout you want and click Apply. The flag should now be added.
For me AltGr is the Alt key to the right of the Space Bar. With the Finnish flag on, AltGr 2 is @ and AltGr e is euro.
Once the setting in KDE is correct, I found that if you do a restartx and switch toe Fluxbox, the Finnish keyboard setting still works. But I do not know how to adjust or change keyboard settings with Fluxbox.
Regards.
-
Thank you for your answer. I never thought it that way. I will go about trying to change it through KDE. The reason for me to use fluxbox is it's apparent lightness in comparison to KDE. Since I'm running Knoppix on Qemu, choosing a lighter desktop environmet is a major choise towards usability.
Anyhow, I wonder if it would be possible to make AltGr to work in pure text console also. I mean, when booting straight to runlevel 3. I remember there was a command called 'loadkeys' or similar in Gentoo, which I believe did the trick. Wonder if Knoppix has that one included...?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Found something useful From a terminal,
setxkbmap fi
Try it and see if it works.
-

Originally Posted by
Jacky
setxkbmap fi
Unforunately it doesn't seem to work.
When I issue that command in a pure tty console it says "can't open display". Well, the 'x' in the command suggests that it's a XServer-only command anyway.
However, in xterm it says nothing (which would suggest that it succeeded), but still no AltGr.
I still have the option to go the KDE way you described, and I'll try it some time during the weekend.
-
Hello again.
I just tried the KDE method. I gave the options lang=fi, keyboard=fi xkeyboard=fi on the boot line and in KDE there is a small Finnish flag on the taskbar which would indicate that the correct language & keyboard are set. Anyhow, there's still no AltGr key. I also tried this on two different boxes, both running WinXP. The other one has an USB keyboard and the other a regular one. So atleast it's not about that.
I'm starting to suspect that this is an issue somehow realated to Qemu rather than Knoppix... The next thing to try would be to boot my box straight off the Knoppix DVD and see if the problem persists. Anyway that's not a real solution, since I specifically need to run it on Windows because I don't have access to BIOS settings on the computer I need to run Knoppix. Anyway, I can boot the Knoppix DVD on another box to which I have BIOS access and see if it's about Qemu, and if it is, then there's not much that I can do.
Similar Threads
-
By OldCanoeist in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
-
By revelater in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-20-2005, 07:25 AM
-
By Kluk-Kluk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-11-2003, 09:51 AM
-
By cbr in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-29-2003, 09:28 PM
-
By SerenityNet in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-26-2003, 04:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4
$128.96

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES
$21.08

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99