Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Remastering DVD -- compression required?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1

    Remastering DVD -- compression required?

    I've been tinkering w/ creating customized Knoppix images and have been pleased w/ the results. I've successfully created bootable custom CD's and thumbdrives. My real goal however is to create larger custom distributions (3-4 GB expected total filesystem size) that I will deploy on large capacity thumbdrives or DVDs. Here's the question:

    Is it required that I use a compressed filesystem? I find that the compression process on my hardware takes 45 minutes to an hour or longer (depending on how large it is and which machine is handling the compression process) and this creates a somewhat painful development loop to test minor changes. One thought I had was to just use a compression level that was not very aggressive but I don't see any options for that on the man page for create_compressed_fs.

    Any experience or suggestions on this? All of the HOWTO's I've found don't address this point.

    Assuming this can be done (that is, that I can use a non-compressed filesystem) -- are there any reasons that I wouldn't want to do this?

    Thanks!

    -Andy

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23
    if you dont want to use a compressed fs you will need to change the way it is mounted. For this you will need to look at the outer layer: minirt.gz

    loop mount a cd image ; cd /boot ; gzip the minirt.gz ; loop mount minirt ; see what you can do in there.

    -- are there any reasons that I wouldn't want to do this?

    due to the slow access of optical media it is probably faster to load less data and decompress it than to load uncompressed image.

    cloop also provides indexing of the blocks so they can be accessed as required, that may be faster than an uncompressed ISO image.

    those arguements concern your final image, not reducing your test cycle.

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cloop#Cr...pressed_image:
    adjusting the block size varies speed vs compresion ratio.

    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=164015
    create_compressed_fs has been worked on recently , you may find it works faster if can install the lastest version.

    Thanks for not doing the leg work yourself I found some useful info along the way.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23
    If all else fails , read the manual


    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_...oop_file.2Fiso

Similar Threads

  1. CROMFS compression
    By shah in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2006, 02:58 PM
  2. help required remastering knoppix
    By rash in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 11:58 AM
  3. Compression algorithm for cloop
    By leiyang in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 05:33 PM
  4. How to get a better compression??
    By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 11:12 PM
  5. compression
    By CrashedAgain in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 01:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$288.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50