Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Need to reinstall lilo - don't have boot-disk...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1

    Need to reinstall lilo - don't have boot-disk...

    Hi!


    I installed both Knoppix and Windows and it worked.

    I cloned the HD and the copy didn't work. Lilo crashed.

    So I installed another boot-loader and now only windows is bootable.


    How can I install lilo again? I have access to lilo.conf via Knoppix-CD.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    is it just :

    lilo -C (path of your lilo.conf)

    after you boot into KNOPPIX CD ? Of course, you need to change the content of lilo.conf to match your HD settings.

    Without further information, not much I can think of.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    What I usually do is,

    boot to knoppix cd

    mount the hd partition ex: mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
    (use the proper device for your partition)

    chroot to the partition, chroot /mnt/hda2

    then edit /etc/lilo.conf with your favorite editor

    then run /sbin/lilo -v

    HTH

    rock

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Need to reinstall lilo - don't have boot-disk...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Hi!


    I installed both Knoppix and Windows and it worked.

    I cloned the HD and the copy didn't work. Lilo crashed.

    So I installed another boot-loader and now only windows is bootable.


    How can I install lilo again? I have access to lilo.conf via Knoppix-CD.
    Mount the partition that contains /etc/lilo.conf make any changes necessary to lilo.conf then sudo chroot /mnt/hd?? /sbin/lilo -v to commit lilo to the MBR. replace ?? with correct drive letter and partition number you mounted.

Similar Threads

  1. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  2. HDD install problem - Error 0x07 using LILO from boot disk
    By bbouton in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 03:04 AM
  3. Boot cd with lilo or grub boot disk
    By keava in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 05:24 PM
  4. need to reinstall lilo
    By LukeGraham in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2003, 09:38 AM
  5. Can I use Lilo to boot knoppix from hard disk ??
    By fm78 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 09:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive

$349.99



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$58.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99