Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: SCSI hard drive detection and Screen resolution

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7

    SCSI hard drive detection and Screen resolution

    I am using Knoppix 3.2-2000-04-15-EN on a CD. I verified the md5 checksums of the ISO image before burning the CD. I have two computers at work and have tried Knoppix on both of them. One works great but the other is having some problems.

    My problem computer is a HP Vectra VL800 DT which is running MS Windows 2000 Pro (service pack 3) and has a ViewSonic VG181 LCD monitor (native resolution 1280x1024) with an ATI Fire GL2 video adapter (chip type: IBM RC1000 256-bit / IBM GT1000). The Vectra was set up with the FAT32 file system and a floppy drive.

    The two problems I have running Knoppix from a CD on my Vectra are:
    1) My SCSI hard drive (Quantum Atlas10K2-TY184L, FAT32 file system) is not automatically mounted in KDE -- I'm not sure if it is even getting recognized by Knoppix, and
    2) The only way I have been able to get KDE to appear is to use the following cheat codes knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA vga=normal. Otherwise, I get the message
    You passed an undefined mode number.
    The screen then blanks out a few times and I end up with Linux in text mode and another error message
    No suitable x-server found for your card.
    Unfortunately, when KDE does comes up using the cheat codes knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA vga=normal everything is grainy and HUGE. When I go into the KDE Control Center --> Peripherals --> Display, the screen resolution is listed as 640x480/75Hz, Color Depth: 8. But when I click on "Screen" to change the settings, another window appears showing the Resolution as 1600x1200/60Hz, Color Depth: 24, and Virtual desktop: Not used. When I change and save the settings to be what I want them to be, I get a message saying that the new configuration was successfully saved and that I will have to restart my session for the changes to take effect. But I haven't found a successful way to do this.

    Saving my configuration to a floppy disk at this point and rebooting with the cheat code knoppix floppyconfig doesn't give me the new screen settings; Adding one of the screen size cheat codes doesn't help; and Using Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a console and then entering init 2 and after KDE closes out using init 5 to reopen KDE doesn't get KDE to use the new configuration either.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can resolve these problems? Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7
    I found a post in the forum that gave about three different commands that could be used to see if Knoppix was recognizing my SCSI hard drive. Unfortunately, I didn't write down what they were as I was trying them. I did find out that my SCSI had been detected and was listed as "sda2".

    Using some other posts, I tried the following:

    1) Created a directory to use as a mount point
    mkdir /mnt/tmp

    2) Changed to a text console
    <Ctrl><Alt>+F2

    3) Opened the "/etc/fstab" file as root using the "joe" editor
    joe /etc/fstab

    I like the "joe" text editor -- that is once I understood that commands such as "Ctrl-K H" or "^KH" mean to hold down the Control key and while holding it down press the "K" key , then release both keys and press the next key --in this case the "H" key.

    4) Added the following line and saved the file
    /dev/sda2 /mnt/tmp auto user,auto,exec,rw 0 0

    5) Closed the KDE session that I had running
    init 2

    6) Reopened a KDE session
    init 5

    I think a desktop icon for the SCSI hard drive was then automatically added to my desktop and I could open my SCSI hard drive but I couldn't save anything to it.

    7) I saved my Knoppix configuration to a floppy using all of the options, and then rebooted using the saved configuration
    knoppix floppyconfig

    Unfortunately, the /mnt/tmp directory that I created was gone, so the desktop icon wouldn't mount my SCSI drive. Is there a way to have Knoppix automatically mount my SCSI drive when I boot from the Knoppix CD?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Connell

    I think a desktop icon for the SCSI hard drive was then automatically added to my desktop and I could open my SCSI hard drive but I couldn't save anything to it.
    Right click on the icon and deselect the read only and you will be able to write to the drive.
    7) I saved my Knoppix configuration to a floppy using all of the options, and then rebooted using the saved configuration
    knoppix floppyconfig

    Unfortunately, the /mnt/tmp directory that I created was gone, so the desktop icon wouldn't mount my SCSI drive. Is there a way to have Knoppix automatically mount my SCSI drive when I boot from the Knoppix CD?
    There should be a /mnt/sda2 already there so if you used this for the mount point when you save your config it should be recognized on re-boot.

    I see you edited the fstab was the line for /dev/sda2 not there already and come to think of it no icon on the KDE desktop too before you edited the fstab and re-started KDE?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7
    I see you edited the fstab was the line for /dev/sda2 not there already and come to think of it no icon on the KDE desktop too before you edited the fstab and re-started KDE?
    That is correct. Here is contents of the original /etc/fstab:
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    noauto,users,exec 0 0
    The fstab file only contained lines for my floppy drive and my two CD drives, but nothing for my hard drive. Neither was there an automatic icon on the KDE desktop for my hard drive until after I created the /mnt/tmp file, modified the fstab file as follows, and restarted KDE.
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
    /dev/sda2 /mnt/tmp auto user,auto,exec,rw 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    noauto,users,exec 0 0
    Unfortunately the /mnt/tmp file would disappear on reboot as mentioned before.

    There should be a /mnt/sda2 already there so if you used this for the mount point when you save your config it should be recognized on re-boot.
    I tried changing the mount point to "/mnt/sda2" but received an error message when I tried to mount it telling me it didn't exist. I changed it to "/mnt/auto/sda2" but when I clicked on the icon, my hard drive mounted along with the following "information" message:
    mount: /dev/sda2 already mounted or /mnt/auto/sda2 busy

    mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda2 is already mounted on /mnt/auto/sda2
    But at least I could access the contents and read and write to the hard drive.

    I was able to get rid of the "information" message by changing the mount point to "/mnt/auto/sda1", but when I moved my cursor over the list of files on the hard drive, Konqueror crashed. The KDE Crash Handler screen appeared and said that Konqueror had "crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV)."

    I changed the mount point back to "/mnt/auto/sda2". Thanks for that suggestion. Do you know what I should do to get rid of the "information" message that pops up when I mount my hard drive or how to correct my screen size problem?

Similar Threads

  1. SCSI drive Detection
    By pitty in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 12:52 AM
  2. scsi hard drives not recognized
    By jmcla in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2004, 01:28 AM
  3. scsi hard drive not recognized
    By wa in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 05:21 AM
  4. Hardware detection after hard-disk install
    By Ish Rattan in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 04:28 AM
  5. Knoppix hangs at startup with SCSI detection(aic7xxx module)
    By sjoerd in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 09:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$94.95