Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix: "Looking for CD"

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix: "Looking for CD"

    I have this problem when I try to start Knoppix up.

    It first loads my two harddrives:

    /dev/hda
    /dev/hdb


    and then it skips a partition that came with the computer (it's a rental), which contains recovery stuff for the computer.

    so it tries to load from the knoppix-CD at /dec/hdc, but afaik, this is where the partition is at.

    How can I fix so Knoppix tries to load from the knoppix-CD at /dev/hdd, which is where it should be at?

    I've tried "knoppix nodma" at start-up and it gives me the "few options shell" or whatever, due to an I/O error, and the exact same thing happens with "failsafe".

    Any ideas what to do?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    2
    Have you tried the other Knoppix cheat codes like...

    knoppix fromhd=/dev/hdd
    knoppix boot=/dev/hdd
    knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hdd
    knoppix atapicd

    Hope they help!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2
    Was actually a far more stupid reason.

    When I started the download, it got interrupted, but this was weeks before I burned it. So I didnt notice that the size of the .iso was just 288mb.

    So I downloaded it again and burned it on another CS and voila, it works.

    It still gets stuck on the DMA part though, but it works with "knoppix nodma"

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    if it's working, fine

    /dev/hdc would be your secondary master
    /dev/hdd would be your secondary slave

    don't confuse the hdd - hard disc drive with
    /dev/hdd being the next sequence from
    /hda /hdb /hdc /hdd etc

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2

    Problem running Knoppix linux live on cd

    I have a Pentium-IV - 3.08 Ghz PC with GGC-101 mother board and 512MB memory. I have SATA hard disk80GB and IDE hard disk850MB. 1 LG cd rom frive and one HP 9500 cd writer. the problem is, when I run the Knoppix cd from any of the cd drives, it hangs up after the following sequence. also I can see 2 Penguines on the top left hand corner of the screen where as I see only one Penguine the other machines. I am using the linux for the very first time on my machine and have no knowledge about linux. I had been using Windows system all these years.

    The screen reports while booting are:-
    1) Welcom to Knoppix live Linux on CD
    2) Scanning for USB/Firewire Devices.......done
    3) Enabling DMA Acceleration for : hda [Quantum TRB850A]
    4) Enabling DMA Acceleration for : hdc [GCR-852B]
    5) Enabling DMA Acceleration for : hdd [HP CD Writer +9500b]
    6) Looking for CD in: /dev/hda

    at the 6th line the whole system hangs up.

    The program loads and works ok from my friends laptop PC and my office desktop pentium -IV PC without any problem. It is apparent that the CD is ok.

    I assume that the CD should be running from hdc or hdd and why is the linux system looking for the CD in the hda?
    I would appreciate any help to solve this problem and get the system running on my PC.
    Thanks in advance.
    Sathish

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    the number of penguins is the number of cpus you have
    the Piv would be a dual core, either real or HT
    my dual xeon shows four penguins

    it should be trying to find the media in a cd- device
    so would be interesting to find why it thinks your quantum is a cd device, let me re-read ....

    guessing the ide hard disk is the Quantum
    is the LG cd the GCR-852b ?
    I'd try some of the no-this or no-that cheat codes ....
    and also, try your own thread ....
    while it is similar to the up the top thread, it will get confusing when people start replying to your bit apart from the orig bit.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2
    Yes. LG CD Rom is the GCR 8521B. I have tried disconnecting all the other hard disk and CD Rom leaving only the LG and swapping primary Master and Slave for the 850 Mb HDD and the LG and got the correct hdc for the CD ROM. but still it stops at :- Looking for CD in :/dev/hdc....... and freezes there. Since I have no idea about knoppix, I don't know how to solve this problem and proceed further.

    The CPU is a hyperthreading one.I have confirmed that the Knoppix CD is ok.
    Sathish

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 10:02 PM
  2. startx with "root" and not with "knoppix"
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:16 PM
  3. "Connection Reset by Peer" or "hang"
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
  4. "Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
    By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99