Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: rockwell external modem need help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    West Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    7

    rockwell external modem need help

    I use rockwell external v.90 56k, but still doesn't work. just stop in initializing modem. I was hear, it's not difficult to configure external modem on linux. but, I'm not lucky. somebody can help me?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NORTH EAST ENGLAND
    Posts
    38
    I am using A Rockwell external modem. The only thing I had to do was change the device option in setup. I changed it from /dev/modem to /dev/stty1 or whatever serial port is used by the modem. Hope this helps, Jimmy.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    West Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    7
    I tried with /dev/ttyS1 but nothing happen. still stuck with initializing modem. anything help?
    mmm...did u use knoppix 3.2?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    in linux /dev/ttyS0 is your first serial port, COM1 in DOS, and /dev/ttyS1 is COM2, etc.

    What serial port is your modem on?

    rock

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NORTH EAST ENGLAND
    Posts
    38
    Yes I use 3.2 Do you have or can borrow another external modem?
    Does it work under windows? If so you could find the port used.
    Good luck!!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    West Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    7
    I use COM2 so I tried with /dev/ttyS1 but doesn't work. but it's work under windows. or maybe I should try with COM1. or any idea?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    West Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    7
    im almost give up with "this" modem. its right external modem and work under windows but still stuck with "initializing modem".
    i want online with my linux
    anyone can help me???

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NORTH EAST ENGLAND
    Posts
    38
    You could try running minicom. This is a comms program and should allow you to test the modem. Also it might be worth booting up with the modem switched OFF so it does not get autodetected. Then power modem up and try to connect. Hope someone has an answer for you.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    West Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    7
    yes it's good idea to use minicom. thanx, i can heard my modem called my ISP. but I don't know, why it's not connected. i already configure my ISP phone number, my account, password, my serial port. im not familiar with minicom. man page is not helped me. any tutorial to use minicom I can get?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by bako
    yes it's good idea to use minicom. thanx, i can heard my modem called my ISP. but I don't know, why it's not connected. i already configure my ISP phone number, my account, password, my serial port. im not familiar with minicom. man page is not helped me. any tutorial to use minicom I can get?
    This article and the second part on linux journal might help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. usb external modem not found - help
    By Cuddles in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 02:19 AM
  2. recommend external 56k modem?
    By agency in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-14-2003, 07:07 PM
  3. ELSA External Modem
    By DavidTempler in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-04-2003, 07:15 PM
  4. ambient external modem
    By sopo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 11:40 AM
  5. external 56k modem
    By in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2002, 07:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00



2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Hard Drive, USB 3

$59.99



Dell PERC H755 8GB NV 12Gb/s Pci-e RAID controller card 29XMF Full Height picture

Dell PERC H755 8GB NV 12Gb/s Pci-e RAID controller card 29XMF Full Height

$899.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



LSI Oracle 9361-16i 16-Port 12Gb SAS PCIe RAID Controller 7332895 picture

LSI Oracle 9361-16i 16-Port 12Gb SAS PCIe RAID Controller 7332895

$77.97



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Dell 01M71J PERC H740P 12Gbps PCI-E SAS RAID Controller 1M71J picture

Dell 01M71J PERC H740P 12Gbps PCI-E SAS RAID Controller 1M71J

$70.00