Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How can I rescue my hd files?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11

    How can I rescue my hd files?

    I have Ubuntu installed on a hard disk and am trying to retrieve some files from my Home directory.

    The system wont boot due to a grub 17 error and cannot mount using KNOPPIX: (cannot mount filesystem. couldnt determine filesystem and none was specified). Although it does see the disk.

    Here is root >fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/hdb: 10.1 GB, 10110320640 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1229 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdb1 * 1 1183 9502416 83 Linux
    /dev/hdb2 1184 1229 369495 5 Extended
    /dev/hdb5 1184 1229 369463+ 82 Linux swap

    I tried to reinstall grub using Knoppix as root :
    grub>
    chroot /dev/mnt hdb1 grub-install /dev/hdb

    Error 27: Unrecognized command.

    I would be greatful if anyone could help. I have tried all sorts of different things and scoured Ubuntu, Google and this forum without getting this solved and am running out of options.
    I know that the answer lies in using Knoppix, if only I knew how.

    Thanks

























    9

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11

    apologies.

    Sorry.
    This should have gone into the HARDWARE section. Feel free to move it.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    59
    I do not see a problem with fdisk's hdb1 so problem might be in the Volume Boot Record.
    In a root console run TESTDISK , if it is the VBR it will be fixed. If you do not have Knoppix latest version, testdisk may not work. More help useing testdisk is at http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html
    At one of testdisk's screeens you can hilight the partition and use 'p' to do a directory listing.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11

    hd files/testdisk

    Thanks. I hadn't heard of Testdisk, very useful, but unfortunately due to my ineptness I screwed up the files while trying to use it.
    Resolution: I MUST MAKE BACKUPS OF MY FILES!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Hack 59 Rescue Files from Damaged Hard Drives
    By smhall05 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 05:18 AM
  2. Need to rescue files from Windows
    By wingman358 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2006, 12:03 AM
  3. help with win rescue
    By smokeyone in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 07:24 PM
  4. Rescue
    By gum digger in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 12:15 PM
  5. Rescue ntfs files
    By alb1954 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 06:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



AMD Ryzen 7 2700X AM4 Processor- 3.7Ghz/4.3Ghz Boost, 8 Core/16 Thread picture

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X AM4 Processor- 3.7Ghz/4.3Ghz Boost, 8 Core/16 Thread

$125.00



Intel Core Ultra 9 285K 3.70GHz 24 Core SRQD5 24 Thread LGA 1851 picture

Intel Core Ultra 9 285K 3.70GHz 24 Core SRQD5 24 Thread LGA 1851

$435.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor

$27.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



AMD Ryzen 5 9600X Processor (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9GHz AM5 65W Desktop CPU picture

AMD Ryzen 5 9600X Processor (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9GHz AM5 65W Desktop CPU

$169.99



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$10.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00