-
Junior Member
registered user
How can I rescue my hd files?
I have Ubuntu installed on a hard disk and am trying to retrieve some files from my Home directory.
The system wont boot due to a grub 17 error and cannot mount using KNOPPIX: (cannot mount filesystem. couldnt determine filesystem and none was specified). Although it does see the disk.
Here is root >fdisk -l
Disk /dev/hdb: 10.1 GB, 10110320640 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1229 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 * 1 1183 9502416 83 Linux
/dev/hdb2 1184 1229 369495 5 Extended
/dev/hdb5 1184 1229 369463+ 82 Linux swap
I tried to reinstall grub using Knoppix as root :
grub>
chroot /dev/mnt hdb1 grub-install /dev/hdb
Error 27: Unrecognized command.
I would be greatful if anyone could help. I have tried all sorts of different things and scoured Ubuntu, Google and this forum without getting this solved and am running out of options.
I know that the answer lies in using Knoppix, if only I knew how.
Thanks
9
Similar Threads
-
By smhall05 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-28-2008, 05:18 AM
-
By wingman358 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-29-2006, 12:03 AM
-
By smokeyone in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-14-2005, 07:24 PM
-
By gum digger in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-27-2005, 12:15 PM
-
By alb1954 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-15-2004, 06:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$699.98

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

1TB 2TB 4TB Portable SSD Type-C External Hard Drive USB 3.1 High Speed PC
$15.99

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1690.40

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$452.53

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99