-
Can I copy WinXP off my 1st partition and reinstall?
I am caught in the endless loop of not being able to boot XP in any mode. I used Knoppix CD-bootable to copy all important files to a 4gb USB stick. I have no need to repair this particular installation of XP and I would simply reinstall IF i had either a recovery disk or an XP disc. Sadly this laptop came with WinXP on the first partition and its running installation on the second partition. Both are fully viewable and accessable via Knoppix. So basically i was thinking I would create a copy of the of the first partition and WinXP then create a bootable disk to then reinstall. Will it work?
(this laptop a Packard bell E3242, cannot boot from a USB so anything I copy to my 4gb jumdrive will then have to be burned onto a self bootable disk)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Have you tried setting the first partition to be the active partition and rebooting to it to see if it will offer to install?
If so you could copy it to the second partition or a resized second partition and go that route.
Otherwise copy the partition and burn it to CD and run winnt32.exe or winnt.exe to generate boot floppies. I don't remember which program or the necessary command line switches to generate the boot floppies. That is something you can Google.
Another source is to Google 'slipstreaming.' That is remastering windows install cd's to include service packs. Some discussions talk about the necessary boot file for the CD. I used the boot file from another CD on XP if my memory is correct. There is a freeware out which will save the boot image from a bootable CD (i.e. Windows Install.) You have to have a full strength burning program to specify the boot image used on a bootable CD.
At work and away from my stuff, so I am a little vague. Also haven't touched this stuff since SP2.
-
Senior Member
registered user
If at first you don't succeed, try the manufacturer's website:
http://support.packardbell.com/globa...=platform_Lynx
They have a procedure listed to restore the machine from the hidden restore partition. Follow the link and good luck!
Similar Threads
-
By marhil711 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-23-2009, 11:07 PM
-
By bono in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-08-2005, 08:10 AM
-
By alex52 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 08:08 AM
-
By bitwarrior in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-16-2003, 03:57 AM
-
By linuxgrilla in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-17-2003, 04:38 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B
$299.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Samsung Planet First 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R
$341.00