-
Junior Member
registered user
How can I rescue my hd files?
I have Ubuntu installed on a hard disk and am trying to retrieve some files from my Home directory.
The system wont boot due to a grub 17 error and cannot mount using KNOPPIX: (cannot mount filesystem. couldnt determine filesystem and none was specified). Although it does see the disk.
Here is root >fdisk -l
Disk /dev/hdb: 10.1 GB, 10110320640 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1229 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 * 1 1183 9502416 83 Linux
/dev/hdb2 1184 1229 369495 5 Extended
/dev/hdb5 1184 1229 369463+ 82 Linux swap
I tried to reinstall grub using Knoppix as root :
grub>
chroot /dev/mnt hdb1 grub-install /dev/hdb
Error 27: Unrecognized command.
I would be greatful if anyone could help. I have tried all sorts of different things and scoured Ubuntu, Google and this forum without getting this solved and am running out of options.
I know that the answer lies in using Knoppix, if only I knew how.
Thanks
9
-
Junior Member
registered user
apologies.
Sorry.
This should have gone into the HARDWARE section. Feel free to move it.
-
I do not see a problem with fdisk's hdb1 so problem might be in the Volume Boot Record.
In a root console run TESTDISK , if it is the VBR it will be fixed. If you do not have Knoppix latest version, testdisk may not work. More help useing testdisk is at http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html
At one of testdisk's screeens you can hilight the partition and use 'p' to do a directory listing.
-
Junior Member
registered user
hd files/testdisk
Thanks. I hadn't heard of Testdisk, very useful, but unfortunately due to my ineptness I screwed up the files while trying to use it.
Resolution: I MUST MAKE BACKUPS OF MY FILES!!!!
Similar Threads
-
By smhall05 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-28-2008, 05:18 AM
-
By wingman358 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-29-2006, 12:03 AM
-
By smokeyone in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-14-2005, 07:24 PM
-
By gum digger in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-27-2005, 12:15 PM
-
By alb1954 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-15-2004, 06:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung Odyssey Neo G95NA - OEM Stand - BN96-51632B
$125.00

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00

Samsung Tab S9 FE 5G 10.9" 128GB Gray Unlocked - READ DESCRIPTION
$140.00

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$99.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI
$85.00

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC
$34.99