Hi,
.
I have been tryin gto make partitions and ext3 and VFAT file systems on a pen drive.
.
I would like to ultimately install Debian using debootstrap
.
There are a number of odd symptoms I hadn't seen before. When I boot via cheat code "knoppix init 3" and run "fdisk -l /dev/sda*", I get, what to me looks like the drive is reporting on 2 different partition tables present on the same drive:
.
// - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Disk /dev/sda: 2029 MB, 2029518848 bytes
17 heads, 32 sectors/track, 7286 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 544 * 512 = 278528 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 7287 1981936 b W95 FAT32
Disk /dev/sda1: 2029 MB, 2029502464 bytes
63 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1014 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 3906 * 512 = 1999872 bytes
This doesn't look like a partition table
Probably you selected the wrong device.
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1p1 ? 199216 491461 570754815+ 72 Unknown
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
phys=(357, 116, 40) logical=(199215, 34, 11)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(357, 32, 45) logical=(491460, 44, 51)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda1p2 ? 43188 538843 968014120 65 Novell Netware 386
Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
phys=(288, 115, 43) logical=(43187, 17, 47)
Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(367, 114, 50) logical=(538842, 14, 42)
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda1p3 ? 478721 974376 968014096 79 Unknown
Partition 3 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
phys=(366, 32, 33) logical=(478720, 18, 30)
Partition 3 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(357, 32, 43) logical=(974375, 14, 39)
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda1p4 ? 738782 738796 27749+ d Unknown
Partition 4 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
phys=(372, 97, 50) logical=(738781, 41, 25)
Partition 4 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(0, 10, 0) logical=(738795, 54, 33)
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.
Partition table entries are not in disk order
.
// - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Now, if I run "startx" and run then fdisk, I get a clean:
.
Disk /dev/sda: 2029 MB, 2029518848 bytes
17 heads, 32 sectors/track, 7286 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 544 * 512 = 278528 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 7287 1981936 b W95 FAT32
.
Which I can mount, write to and unmount without any problems.
.
I have also found problems, when I boot the box with the pen drive inserted in the USB slot. Knoppix reports:
.
There was an error setting up inter process communication for KDE
Could not read network list
/root/.DCOPserver_Knoppix_0
.
Please, check that the dcopserver is running
.
// __
Another type of weird mistake I find is:
Not enough memory to start kde! (at least 82 required!)
.
but running "free" gives me:
.
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2075228 160036 1915192 0 7564 94096
-/+ buffers/cache: 58376 2016852
Swap: 0 0 0
.
I do have 2Gb of mostly underused ram in my box.
.
How can I solved this problems?
.
Albretch

Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM
$9599.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$169.95
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast 16GB DDR4-3200Mhz
$100.00
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module
$29.25
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
Dell 32GB DDR5 5600 CAMM KYHG6V Precision 7670 7680 7770 7780 16Gx8 Memory
$669.00
LOT OF 5 RAM STICKS-SAMSUNG/SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2133 (16GBX5=75GB TOTAL)
$345.00