-
DVD won't complete boot under some circumstances
Live DVD wont complete boot under some circumstances. The error I get: Looking for DVD in: /dev/hdf
Then it stops (not hangs - keyboard input still works - just stops). Left it for 10+ mins to see if it would continue.
I have an ABIT AN7 m/b, and I have added on a Maxtor/Promise ATA/100 PCI controller card. Using Knoppix 5.0.1 live DVD.
I am trying to use the 4 IDE channels on the m/b with 4 IDE hard drives I have, intended to be used as a software RAID. I have therefore installed a Maxtor/Promise PCI IDE card to add the neccesary additional IDE channels so that I can hook up a DVD-rom and a second small 8gb hard drive I intend to run Knoppix from.
I find that the DVD always actually boots (at least to the above mentioned state), no matter where I place the DVD drive (on the motherboard IDE controller channels or the Maxtor/Promise IDE channels). However, the DVD filesystem is only 'found' when I place the DVD drive on the motherboard Primary or Secondary IDE channel (AKA hda, b, c, d) for some reason.
I guess I could move the 8gb and dvd-rom to the m/b and install to the hard drive, then move it back to the second IDE controller to see if it boots then, but I thought I would check around to see if there was some reason for this in case I see it crop up again then.
I really want to use the m/b controller for these drives in the long run. That way I can just change the second controller card if it happens to go bad.
FYI I booted in verbose mode, and from what I can tell, the filesystem is seen. At that point I type 'exit' to continue from the verbose prompt, immediately the same stop happens.
Similar Threads
-
By Iane in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-09-2005, 09:01 PM
-
By maxpower57 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-03-2005, 05:48 PM
-
By gradnite in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 12:13 AM
-
By Wayne W in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-30-2003, 08:38 PM
-
By Ken in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 04-10-2003, 03:50 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW
$30.89

Samsung PM961 256GB,Internal (MZ-VLW2560) NVMe
$28.90

QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black
$500.00

Samsung Chomrebook XE350XBA-K02US LCD Screen FHD Display 15.6" XE350XBA-K03US
$51.77

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible
$39.00

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2
$89.00

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD
$59.99

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI
$85.00