Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Won't boot from CD: OUT OF MEMORY

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2

    Won't boot from CD: OUT OF MEMORY

    hello,

    I've downloaded Knoppix CD v5.0.1 and burnt it. I tried on one of my computer, and when I don't enter any cheatcodes, it just won't boot. After scanning for USB devices it displays thiserror message:
    Acessing KNOPPIX CD at /dev/hda... insmod: error insterting "/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloop.ko" : -1 Out of memory

    And it freezes there... nothing responds...

    Any solutions?

    Thanks,
    JP

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I have no idea what your problem is, but I suggest that you check if you followed all of the steps referenced in the FAQ pointed to in answer #1.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    I have no idea what your problem is, but I suggest that you check if you followed all of the steps referenced in the FAQ pointed to in answer #1.
    Thank you for your answer.

    I read through the Download FAQ and it did not help.

    And I forgot to mention that when i use nodma cheatcode, it does work, but I've read on the forum (correct me if i'm wrong and it'll solve my problem) it slows down knoppix or something like that.

    Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    The cheat codes are parameters that you pass at boot time that guide the hardware choices that Knoppix otherwise tries to make automatically. dma or nodma is a significant choice and one that unfortunately Knoppic can't always make correctly for all hardare combinations. Yes, dma is generally faster than defeating dma transfers with the nodma option, but not all systems will use dma properly; it is much more important to use the choice that works here than the one that you think is faster. I'm glad that this is all it was for you; I was suspecting that you had either a bad download or a high speed burn.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot Boot...Out Of Memory problems....Please Help
    By Xyngtai in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 11:44 AM
  2. Can't boot from USB flash memory
    By sventrn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 03:52 PM
  3. Boot up/memory problem (new to Linux)
    By benedict1000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 11:47 AM
  4. 1 GB memory boot ISO image run entirely from memory?
    By rrolsbe in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 09:42 PM
  5. USB-memory not detected during boot. But works later.
    By LinuxSam in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 03:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU picture

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU

$279.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11 picture

Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11

$699.00