Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Creating user account

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1

    Creating user account

    Hi,
    I'm using Knoppix 5.0.1 from the Live CD and I'm saving the settings and the data on a USB pen. Now I want to create another user account, I tried many and many times but without success. Now I'm thinking that the Live version can't support more than one user account at a time. Is this true? How can bypass this? Or, how can I create a user account?

  2. #2

    if you decided to sin...

    As far as I know, there is no way to create another account on live cd. If you installed it using the code
    Code:
    sudo knoppix-installer
    , set up all the partitions and everything, and installed it as the default configuration (debian), you would be able to make an new, password protected account. Unfortunately, the only way that I know how to do this is when you install from the live CD, you have to setup the account from the configuration option in the installer.

    Just dont tell anyone you did this. Apparently installing knoppix on your HD is blasphmy. I dont know why, though.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: if you decided to sin...

    Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniac
    ... I dont know why, though.
    Follow the documentation link near the top of this page, read the wiki articles on installing Knoppix, particularly the warning not to do it. Then you'll know why.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4

    try try again...

    So, apparently I broke the sacred law. Where can I get Debian and how do I install over Knoppix? For some reason, Http://www.debian.net comes up in Japanese. I think its spyware, but I dont know. (on windows pc, linux box not currently networked)

    Also, what is Gentoo like? is it good? and would it boot on an AMD 715Mhz w/ 192MB RAM and a DVD drive?

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: try try again...

    The Debian site is http://www.debian.org/, not .net. I suggest downloading the Etch" version, a good compromise between the stable but old version and the bleeding edge.

    I don't know about Gentoo. There are many Linux distros and I prefer not to get into arguments about which is "Better". But Knoppix is based on Debian, so if you wanted an Installed Knoppix then the logical place to start would seem to be Debian.

Similar Threads

  1. missing user account on a knoppix file recovery attempt
    By bobby_lobby in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 09:58 PM
  2. Knoppix 4.02, standard user account, sudo, networking
    By teddymills in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 03:14 PM
  3. Cannot log into user account..only root
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 08:15 PM
  4. missing startup sound when booting into user account!
    By KnoppixDawg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-17-2004, 08:50 PM
  5. ?? Duplicate a user account as different name ??
    By Cuddles in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-13-2004, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming 3  AMD Socket AM4 DDR4 4-Slot Gaming HDMI DVI picture

GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming 3 AMD Socket AM4 DDR4 4-Slot Gaming HDMI DVI

$60.00