-
I had the same problem with the CD from the book "K. Ha
The CD does work in computer A, but not computer B.
First, while booting, the message is:
Looking for CD-ROM in /dev/scd0
Then:
hda Maxtor ...
hdc CD-ROM Samsung ...
Can't find Knippix file system
So, I suspect the Maxtor should be hdc and the CD-ROM should be something
other than hdc and that's why it can't be found.
I tried tohd=/dev/hdc
but no luck. Do you have a solution?
-
you need a cheat code to not use one of the sub systems ....
I've had this, but it's been a while
hda Maxtor
that means the maxtor is hda
check the burn on the cd media
and the age on your samsung cd-rom drive
try another cd-rom drive
but, find the cheat code to disable something at bootup
-
I don't believe the problem has anything to do with a corrupt CD. I just tried for the first time 5.0.1 after downloading. And got the same error message. I then tried my copy of 4.0.2 that worked perfectly on my old rig yet recieved the same error on my current system. Perhaps there is some incompatability with this system. I am currently running a Asus P5B deluxe with a Intel 6400.
Mr Ranger
-
I had this problem (cant find knoppix filesystem, sorry) when booting 5.0.1 from the CD at my old computer (p2-600). The problem didnt appear on the newer AMD-64-3000+. SO I dont think it is a burning problem ( I used a CD-R).
I solved this problem using ..
... "failsafe" for booting. But then my mouse (ps2 and serial) didnt move anymore.
... "knoppix nodma". But then the system wasn't stable.
... the boot-command "knoppix noapci apci=off pci=bios" that is mentionend on the boot-up-screen (Key F2 or F3) for bad BIOS'. Check the spelling, I didn't learned it by heart. This one works well.
-
an older p2-600 would have an older cd-rom drive
which won't read newer media as well
and quite likely not a cd-rw
the can't find knoppix system from a cd-boot is not being able to read the media on the cd-disk with the cd-drive
put it on a cd-r, not a cd-rw and burn it slowly
or swap the cd-drive while you are testing
-
Re: Can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry.

Originally Posted by
Snifro
What a polite error message, but annoying none-the-less.
I used DSL's tool to create a bootable usbkey. I plugged it into my fairly new Dell Precision 670 and it appears to boot until it gets to the dreaded "can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry". I have the image on a 2.0 gb Lexar USB drive. I tried typing "dsl nodma" as well as a bunch of other commands to try to get this to work, but nothing has so far. The harddrives in this machine are connected via SATA. (Not SCSI or IDE). I tried booting off of the cd and it worked fine on the same machine.
Does anyone have any clue as to why this isnt working?
I have a Dell Precision 370, and get the same error. I got it working by using a USB port separate to the base machine (a USB hub attached to a USB keyboard). The dell USB mouse does not work in X. (I have not investigated why).
-
Re: Can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry.

Originally Posted by
Snifro
What a polite error message, but annoying none-the-less.
I used DSL's tool to create a bootable usbkey. I plugged it into my fairly new Dell Precision 670 and it appears to boot until it gets to the dreaded "can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry". I have the image on a 2.0 gb Lexar USB drive...
Does anyone have any clue as to why this isnt working?
I got exactly the same error with 256mb Kingston Data Traveler 2 USB key after following the instructions from
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01...in-one-usb-dsl
The solution was to format the file system to FAT 16. FAT 32 did not work for some reason.
-
Can't find ..... dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
When booting from CD (first time to do this) I recieve this message:
"Can't find Knoppix file system, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Press reset button to quit."
I was given to understand that Knoppix may help me retrieve datat from a corrupted HD and would really like to get it going.
Any ideas?
-
Issue resolved
I changed the CD rom for a new one and had no problem booting from CD.
Now I have a new question. When I am running the program, it will not let me write to my HD. It says I do not have permission.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Issue resolved

Originally Posted by
MapLeaf
I changed the CD rom for a new one and had no problem booting from CD.
Yup, this confirms that the problem was due to a marginal burn, marginal or dirty optics in the old drive, or an old drive that needed a cheat code. All very common problems but the first two few will accept the answer to unless thay discover it themselves.

Originally Posted by
MapLeaf
Now I have a new question.
Then you would be better served by starting a new thread than by appending it here. Or better yet, use the forum search feature, you are not the first to ask this.
Similar Threads
-
By kamitree in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-31-2009, 10:11 PM
-
By donkeyass in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 27
Last Post: 03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
-
By colonius in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-20-2004, 06:09 PM
-
By pskipw in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:16 AM
-
By befuddled in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-23-2003, 03:42 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1690.40

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$452.53

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

2026 NEW SGIN 15.6" Laptop Win11 Intel i3 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Wi-Fi 6 RJ45 USB-C
$302.99