Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Knoppix don't boot on AX59Pro, K6 2 350

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix don't boot on AX59Pro, K6 2 350

    Hello,

    I tried to boot KNOPPIX V5.0.1 on an old PC (MB: Aopen AX59Pro, K6 2 350, 128Mb RAM, IDE CD ROM, S3 Trio 64V+).
    The ISOLINUX version string appears on screen, then the isolinux prompt is displayed but hitting the keyboard don't do anything and it is freezed forever.
    I don't have any error message.

    I have tested the Knoppix CD on another computer, and it is working perfectly.

    What can cause this boot problem ?
    Can someone point me a floppy disk image that can boot this kind of config ?

    Regards,

    Laurent

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    slow burn the iso on a not rw media

    try the much newer cd-rom from the other computer that it works in, in the older K6

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4
    The burned CD works perfectly. It has been burned at low speed on a not RW CD-ROM.
    I'm sure the problem don't come from the media. I have tested it in another computer and it works also.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    the burnt cd works on a newish cd device
    it might not work on an older pre-32x cd-rom device
    did you try the new-ish cd-rom device with the burnt cd ?

    also, did you burn it on a DVD burner
    I have multi dvd writers that won't burn a cd-rom iso correctly
    i have to burn the cd iso on a cd-rw to get it to work

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4
    This CD works well. If I put it in the old computer while Windows 98 is running, I can browse it.

    Seriously, I don't think the problem comes from the media.

    Maybe can I try with a boot floppy. Do you know where I can find an image to make a bootable floppy for Knoppix 5.0.1 ?

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    seriously, it's an old cd-rom
    and if you can't change 4 screws and try it
    then i'm done trying to help you

    old rom drives can't read new media
    dvd-burnt cd-rom media doesn't work
    would you like some help >?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4
    Ok, I cannot change the CD Rom in the PC because :
    1. it is not my computer
    2. the only others CD Rom I have are laptop CD Rom

    So, if at least I can try with a floppy boot disk, it can help me to figure out where the problem come from.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    nope
    a boot floppy will only boot the basics of the OS system so you can then access your cd-rom system
    this is a problem if you cannot get your system to auto-boot to the cd-rom device
    very old technology

    just cos you can get the system to boot, don't mean your OLD cd-rom device can read a NEW cd-media burnt cd-iso file/disk

Similar Threads

  1. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  2. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  3. using knoppix on multi-boot CD's (boot scriptor)
    By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
  4. Runs on K6-2 500 AX59pro but not on Athlon xp1800+ K7vmm
    By Kimberley in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 01:41 PM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch

$749.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply picture

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply

$200.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00