hang at which stage ? the auto configure does a lot of thing, what is the last message you saw ?
Hi everyone,
I just downloaded a an image of the knoppix distro and tried to run linux on my laptop with it.
The CD that I burnt ran properly on my desktop and booted into linux.
But it hangs at the AutoConfiguration point while I'm trying to boot into linux on my laptop.
I also tried out options like
boot: knoppix nopcmcia
and
boot: knoppix noscsi
but inspite of that the same thing happens.
Could anybody help out.
regards,
Shivam
hang at which stage ? the auto configure does a lot of thing, what is the last message you saw ?
Have you tried using the failsafe boot option? If it boots ok with that, then you try adding other options until you come up with the answer by the process of elimination.
Hi garyng and aay,
Thanks very much for the help.
I finally used the failsafe option as aay had suggested and it did boot in, and I could get into business
As for which stage it hanged in the Autoconfiguring devices I'm not sure
as
this is what used to happen
it would reach
Autoconfiguring Devices.... A green progressing bar
and it would hang there
for other desktops or laptops it would be
Autoconfiguring Devices... The green bar followed by Done.
and I would successfully get into knoppix.
As of now the failsafe option worked for me so its fine
Thanks for all the help
Glad to hear that its working now. Since you booted with failsafe, I'm not sure if this suggestion will work, but you could try looking at the contents of dmesg to see if there are any problems/error messages. That might give you a clue as to what the issue was.
dmesg |more
or
dmesg > dmesg.txt - to have the output of dmesg placed in a text file in your home directory.

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
256GB Lot 8 x 32GB Samsung DDR4 PC4-2933Y M393A4K40DB2-CVFBY ECC Registered DIMM
$1599.99
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$369.59
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55
Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC
$4.95