Hi,
first of all: I am totally new referring to Knoppix and ns2! I (want to) work with Knoppix 5.0.1 and ns-allinone-2.30.
I booted Knoppix from my cd-rom device. It is working correctly (e.g. I could compile and execute a c++ program I wrote just for testing purposes in my bash shell)!
I "moved" ns-allinone-2.30.tar.gz from my Windows XP platform (device sda2) successfully to /home/knoppix/ with the "mv"- command and unzipped it with:
"gunzip < file.tar.gz | xv".
So there is a directory existing now named "ns-allinone-2.30" in /home/knoppix/
(First question: is that the right location to install a program on a knoppix platform???)
I started the install script (./install) - the installation-process started and also got to an end. But with that there were already a whole bunch of errors like syntax errors, warnings etc.
e.g. "/home/knoppix/ns-allinone-2.30/tk8.4.13/unix/../generic/tkIntDecls.h:584: error:
syntax error before 'TkDisplay'"
or
"tk8.4.13 make failed! Exiting ..."
My problems are as follows:
a) I can't find the programs ns and nam in my ns-allinone-2.30 directory (even when I use the "search"-option)
b) I guess I also do need to extend the PATH-variable (I've already read a few statements in your forum, but I honestly did not understand...). So how do I have do do that?
c) when I start ns by typing ns in my bash shell, i receive an error:
"bash: ns: command not found" --> that might probably be the PATH problem??
d)I've also read that it should be helpful to update the bashrc in /etc/ but I cannot save my changes (and even more, I don't know what I should exactly write into that file!). It says i do not have any rights to update that file (although I am "root"! I thought being "root" I do have all rights!??)!
That might be already a good proof that i am totally new to linux as well as ns2!! )
I would be really pleased to get an answer from you because I need to work with that environment!!
It would be great if you gave me a short guidance on how i could get started, what steps I have to follow....
My aim is to finally start the ns and nam programs.
Thank you a lot in advance and enjoy your sunday!!
Sincerely,
Silja

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on
$255.00
Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95
Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested 48k READ
$370.00
Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Only Tested READ
$300.00
Atari Portfolio PARALLEL PRINTER INTERFACE NOS New Open Box
$29.88
Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested
$149.99
Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ
$270.00
Vintage GE TXP-8100 Letter Quality Printer – Original Box – Atari Commodore
$89.00
Atari Light Pen Untested For Atari 400 800 Xe Vintage Computer
$70.00