Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Tv tuner + Hard drive recognition

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5

    Tv tuner + Hard drive recognition

    I recently burned a cd of knoppix 5.1, switching from what I previously used as a livecd which was knoppix 3.6

    1. On knoppix 3.6, when the livecd finished loading and I was sitting at the desktop, there was an icon on the desktop of my computer's hard drive which i could right click, mount and use all I wanted.
    On knoppix 5.1, it isn't there. There is also no link to it in /mnt so what do I do?

    2. My tv-tuner card is made by kobian, under the brand name mercury. In knoppix 3.6, because the card is extremely similar to the lifeview flyvideo 2000, I would pick that one, and the Philips MK2 tuner. Using these options, I would be able to use ALMOST all of the channels my tuner could get, a few could not be picked up.
    With knoppix 5.1, I go to configure, and pick the same card, and the xawtv config screens shuts down. Is it supposed to let me pick a tuner? Because after I pick a card it just closes. If I try picking up channels, it doesn't work, and aborts.
    Can anybody tell me how to manually pick the tuner? What number is it?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Please see answer #7.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Please see answer #7.
    edited

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Thanks.

    I can't help with #2.

    As to #1, Knoppix still shows the desktop icins for drive partition for me and for other usres, although the way to make FAT partition read-write has changed somewhat. I wonder if there is something wrong with your partitions or partition table. Have you tried looking at the current system with the old version of Knoppix? Can you try your new Knoppix on a different system?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5
    As for the hard drive, windows will boot off of it, and knoppix 3.6 still recognizes it fine. It is an NTFS partition. When I boot knoppix 5.1 it simply doesn't show up. Not in /media, not in /dev. In 3.6 it shows up as hda1. In 5.1, in media there is hdc but it has nothing in it, and there is no hda1.
    On my laptop, knoppix 5.1 DOES recognize the hard drive.
    The problem may be in that I use an SATA drive. To use it, in the bios I had to enable SCSI which is how the mobo recognizes it. In 3.6 there is no issue, but this may be the cause in 5.1.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Yea, sounds like it could be an SATA issue. If 3.6 is OK with it I would suggest that you grab a copy of 4.02 while you still can, it's newer and may or may not recognize the drive. I actually find 4.02 a lot less buggy than 5.0.1.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5
    I tried to run qtparted, but as soon as the splash screen starts up, it is gone and the program itself never seems to start. Is there any way to run another kernel in knoppix 5? Maybe downgrading the kernel will do the trick.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    64
    Do you have anything showing under sda?
    The one time I used Knoppix on a unit with
    SATA drives, they showed up as
    sda1, sdb1, etc.

Similar Threads

  1. USB KNOPPIX HARD DRIVE RECOGNITION PROBLEM
    By d1g1tal_ph3r3t in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 09:53 PM
  2. USB Flash Drive Recognition
    By TJBalistic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 10:52 PM
  3. Hard Drive Recognition
    By Johnni in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 11:34 PM
  4. Zip drive recognition with Knoppix4.0
    By Honkeychops in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 06:50 PM
  5. Easy Zip Drive Recognition
    By Friendly Guy in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 08:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$128.96



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99