http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/5.01CD bug 5

this confirms my experience that everything cups related in 5 is broken.

It makes reference to the french forum but that was so damn slow I got tired of waiting 2min on every click and gave up. I saw one post http://forums.knoppix-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=11422 that says he fixed it but I gave up looking for the thread where he posted about that.

In case you dont speak french you could try googling the forum for his user id and "imprimante" = printer, and get google to translate.

If you find something but cant read it post me a link.



PS

http://forums.knoppix-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=11328

Lancer Kprinter
Attendre le message d'erreur et repondre OK
Puis dans la fenetre kprinter cliquer sur "Options Système" puis choisir dans l'ascenseur a Gauche "Serveur Cups" et remplacer le contenu du champs Hôte "/var/run/cups/cups.lock" par "localhost"
Et hop !

Seems to be a problem with kprinter but if you boot knoppix to kde maybe it is doing something with this lock file which is enough to block cups command line as well. You should be able to pick the nuts out of that little bit.

HTH