Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: I think Knoppix just trashed one of my LAN cards

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2

    I think Knoppix just trashed one of my LAN cards

    I just tried the DVD version of LiveCD Knoppix linux and now one of my ethernet cards doesn't work

    I have a DFI Lanparty expert mobo and when linux was booting up it seemed to recognise both LAN ports (one is a marvell yukon, the other being an Nvidea) but then wouldn't allow me to connect to the net. I played around with linux, rebooted into windows, everything seemed to be OK but.....my Marvell Yukon card seems to be disabled. Could a LiveCD version of the OS tell my ethernet card to powerdown and stay off? The BIOS recognises the card as does windows hardware profile but now no connection or flashing lights.

    grrrrr so much for trying linux

    Please help resort my confidence in linux, any help?????

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I never heard of this before, although I did have a case of a version of Knoppix that worked just fine on a notebook's NIC until after I allowed Microsoft XP's "security update" to run, and then it no longer could work with Linux (the same Knoppix CDR and the next few releases as well) but would still work with XP!

    I would suggest that you make sure that you completely power off the hardware, don't just remove the CD and do a warn boot.

    Beyond that I'm at a losss to make more suggestions at the moment but I'll give it some thought.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2
    I unplugged the puter from the mains for a few hours, then plugged it back in, computer is good as new

    Linux sucks ass, and not in a good way!

    Guess I'll stick to my old SGI indy.

Similar Threads

  1. ATI Cards and Knoppix 5.3.1
    By knoppix2008 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 07:48 PM
  2. RH7.3 trashed after Knoppix live CD
    By mnow in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2005, 10:09 AM
  3. Trashed my Lilo
    By rohandhruva in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 10:09 PM
  4. SB Audigy cards & ATI Radeon ALL-IN-WONDER 7500 Cards
    By ShavedHawk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 04:13 AM
  5. Wireless PCMCIA Cards for Knoppix
    By JockVSJock in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 02:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW picture

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW

$599.40



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



HPE Synergy 480 Gen10 Blade Server BAREBONES NO CPU, RAM OR HDD  🚚 picture

HPE Synergy 480 Gen10 Blade Server BAREBONES NO CPU, RAM OR HDD 🚚

$140.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis

$274.99



HP P40893-B21 EDGELINE E920T CONFIGURE-TO-ORDER BLADE SERVER picture

HP P40893-B21 EDGELINE E920T CONFIGURE-TO-ORDER BLADE SERVER

$300.00



NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE T430 T630 G13 SERVERS K98XH picture

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE T430 T630 G13 SERVERS K98XH

$225.00



NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH picture

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH

$225.00