-
Junior Member
registered user
-
Junior Member
registered user
I find a way to solved this problem. But not the best way.
1,Boot from Knoppix CD with "knoppix 2".
2,Then copy the KNOPPIX files to your NFS directory: cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hda1/cdrom
(if your hd-intalled the KNOPPIX on hda1)
3, reboot system without KNOPPIX CD
4, chroot /cdrom
5, remaster knoppix
6, Ctl+D return to hd-installed knoppix
7, edit /usr/share/knoppix-terminalserver/templates/miniroot/linuxrc, mount NFSDIR as /KNOPPIX, edit relation lines.
8, run knoppix-terminalserver
9, boot client
10, You will found it works great.
This way too waste hd space.
I'll find other way to solve this problem.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hmm. This is certainly a soluiton of sorts, but apart from the fact that the terminal server is now running from the hd it's not really that different from the cd (since this method just coppies the image). I'm till looking for a way to install so that we can add programs and the like. Keep posting ideas and i'll do the same.
-
Junior Member
registered user
aay wrote
Hmm. This is certainly a soluiton of sorts, but apart from the fact that the terminal server is now running from the hd it's not really that different from the cd (since this method just coppies the image). I'm till looking for a way to install so that we can add programs and the like. Keep posting ideas and i'll do the same.
This method not as same as copy the KNOPPIX image file into the directory /cdrom/KNOPPIX/. If coppies KNOPPIX image, we couldn't insatll new applications, but this method can. I had installed mplay, mozilla firebird, realone, etc. And I had customed desktop, look-feel, style, splash screen, and so on. So, this is a good soluiton. The client can works great. The shortcome is too waste hd space. Of course, I believe that have another way to solve this problem, and better than this one.
-

Originally Posted by
Omak
5, remaster knoppix
7, edit /usr/share/knoppix-terminalserver/templates/miniroot/linuxrc, mount NFSDIR as /KNOPPIX, edit relation lines.
I am haveing some problems with steps 5 and 7, could you give a bit more detail, please. How do I 'remaster knoppix'? And I was unsure what lines exactly to change in step 7.
Thanks.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
uteck

Originally Posted by
Omak
5, remaster knoppix
7, edit /usr/share/knoppix-terminalserver/templates/miniroot/linuxrc, mount NFSDIR as /KNOPPIX, edit relation lines.
I am haveing some problems with steps 5 and 7, could you give a bit more detail, please. How do I 'remaster knoppix'? And I was unsure what lines exactly to change in step 7.
Thanks.
Ok! Give details. Maybe you could hard understand my poor English.
steps 5, remaster knoppix means you config evironment, install new applications, personalize like change styles, change icons, etc.
steps 7,
edit /usr/share/knoppix-terminalserver/templates/miniroot/linuxrc
you should change these lines:
1.lines from 242 to 252 you'll find
# if we have an NFSDIR, try mounting it
if [ -n "$NFSDIR" ]; then
echo -n "${CRE}${BLUE}Trying to mount CD on" \
"${MAGENTA}$NFSDIR${BLUE}...${NORMAL}"
/static/mount -t nfs -o \
ro,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr$SECUREOPTIONS \
"${NFSDIR}" /cdrom > /dev/null 2>&1 && MOUNTED="yes"
# unsuccessful? Blank out NFSDIR and see if pump does better
[ -z "$MOUNTED" ] && echo "${RED}Failed.${NORMAL}" && NFSDIR=
fi
replace with this, you should see the red part
# if we have an NFSDIR, try mounting it
if [ -n "$NFSDIR" ]; then
echo -n "${CRE}${BLUE}Trying to mount CD on" \
"${MAGENTA}$NFSDIR${BLUE}...${NORMAL}"
/static/mount -t nfs -o \
ro,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr$SECUREOPTIONS \
"${NFSDIR}" /KNOPPIX > /dev/null 2>&1 && MOUNTED="yes"
# unsuccessful? Blank out NFSDIR and see if pump does better
[ -z "$MOUNTED" ] && echo "${RED}Failed.${NORMAL}" && NFSDIR=
fi
2.lines from 304 to 321 you'll find
FOUND_KNOPPIX=""
if test -f /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
then
echo -n "${CRE} ${GREEN}Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM image at ${MAGENTA}$NFSDIR${GREEN}...${NORMAL}"
FOUND_KNOPPIX="true"
else
dropshell
fi
# Harddisk-installed script part version has been removed
# (KNOPPIX can be booted directly from HD now).
# DEBUG
# echo "6" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
insmod /modules/cloop.o file=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
mountit /dev/cloop /KNOPPIX "-o ro$SECUREOPTIONS" || FOUND_KNOPPIX=""
replace with this, you should see the red part
FOUND_KNOPPIX=""
#if test -f /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
#then
echo -n "${CRE} ${GREEN}Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM image at ${MAGENTA}$NFSDIR${GREEN}...${NORMAL}"
FOUND_KNOPPIX="true"
#else
#dropshell
#fi
# Harddisk-installed script part version has been removed
# (KNOPPIX can be booted directly from HD now).
# DEBUG
# echo "6" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
#insmod /modules/cloop.o file=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
#mountit /dev/cloop /KNOPPIX "-o ro$SECUREOPTIONS" || FOUND_KNOPPIX=""
At last, save it.
Now if you start knoppix-terminalserver, it would work great.
-
Thanks for the instructions, I have it working now.
Now I just have one question about installing programs. Do I install them as I normally would, or do I have to chroot to cdrom and install the packages there?
-
Summary and result of the HD-install process of ClusterKnopp
Hello everybody!
I have used Knoppix for some time now, and is very impressed by the ClusterKnoppix idea. I am a biologist and looking for a simple way to create Linux clusters for biological computation, and ClusterKnoppix seems to be just right for me
. Reading your discussion here, there seem to be some difficulties to do a successful harddisk installation and maintain terminal server and openmosix funtionality if working with an "expanded" (not image) system.
I was just wondering how it turned out for you guys/gals - did everything work out just fine? Are the clusters running well? Any problems installing new software with apt-get? Moreover, does anybody of you have time/energy to write a brief "step-by-step" summary on how you did it? Or even better, writing a script that does it?
Have a nice day!
Regards,
Beakie
-
Senior Member
registered user
I did a ClusterKnoppix hd install and the openmosix clustering works fine, it's just the knoppixterminalserver that is set up to only function while running from CD.
The only problem I've had, is KDE crashes quite often while running the openmosix kernel (etc.), if I use icewm, xfce, or fluxbox it seems to run fine. I have added the openmosix kernel to a debian unstable box and clustered the two quite easily. The only gotcha is ClusterKnoppix uses a newer openmosix tools package and requires NO configuration, on the system where I added the openmosix packages I had to configure the cluster manually. Which is pretty easy. I think I already posted what I had to do to get that running.
Are you planning to install to all machines or have one install and run the others from CD?
If you are willing to run each machine with it's own cd, clustering will operate just fine.
HTH
--rock
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
uteck
Thanks for the instructions, I have it working now.
Now I just have one question about installing programs. Do I install them as I normally would, or do I have to chroot to cdrom and install the packages there?
Yes, you should chroot to cdrom for install packages.
Similar Threads
-
By paulrbarnard in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-05-2005, 01:46 PM
-
By felixious in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-16-2005, 09:46 PM
-
By ska_p_te in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-08-2004, 05:56 PM
-
By Levi37 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-25-2004, 01:16 PM
-
By ml1979 in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-02-2003, 05:35 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$140.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00