which Knoppix 5 version is it
sounds like a usb problem. did you try a different usb socket ?
fwiw, which xeon mobo ?
I attempted to reformat a USB2 flash thumb drive with QTparted
(this always worked fine on a 1cpu computer).
First flash drive showed its partition, it's ok.
I clicked on the 2nd flash drive, it said scanning partitions 100%, locked up.
I hit close, it said not responding; I hit kill, QTParted window closed.
I restarted qtparted, got the same result 3 more times; killed each one.
now at 100% cpu load - all 4 cpu's!
I had to kill 4 copies of qtparted in root console.
mount ok - drive still has its good fat32 partition.
unmount ok.
mkfs -t ext3 worked fine, but desktop icon quit.
mount from root console worked.
Is this a QTPartEd threadsafe bug? Is it doing a fsck?
which Knoppix 5 version is it
sounds like a usb problem. did you try a different usb socket ?
fwiw, which xeon mobo ?
mobo is Dell Precision 450 workstation, on board USB2.
knoppix is 5.01
I switched ports & hubs and now I often get boot failure -
autoconfiguring devices runs forever -
the bar goes across the screen and off the edge.
With either hub, or connected directly, the thumb drive power
light is on, even when the computer is turned off.
(no prob on single CPU computer - its USB ports shut off)
is that an older Dell or a fairly current one ?
I got a mobo where the kb and mouse sockets don't work
it's feasible the USB socketry is dead
OR
seeing as it's southbridge, go to the bios and check the system health for the power voltages
if one gets a bit low the southbridge won't run properly
also, de-configure the USB so there is none
so that knoppix can't find it and try to use it
and see if it boots without usb
Dell mobo is ~3yrs old. USB is good - mkfs formats USB drive just fine -Originally Posted by marhleet
It is qtparted that barfs, and ONLY on a dual CPU machine

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$379.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00
Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99
EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00