-
Using Knoppix to solve XP boot problem
My XP Home software refused to boot up and kept recycling itself. Eventually I tried all various safe modes and still wouldnt work. Managed eventually to get to the Recovery Console and tried a DIR command and got an error message that an error occurred during directory enumeration.
It was suggested that I try Knoppix to see what I could do.
Knoppix has eventually allowed me to copy files onto a DVD so that is great, but I now need to sort out what is wrong.
I had a couple of problems firstly with Knoppix
1. The Burning Software had an advanced option that required a password - I didnt know this, but it didnt stop me burning the disk using a basic mode
2. Tried to copy and paste files between directories and it would not allow me to do this - I checked that the permissions of the files were Read and Write
3. When I clicked on HDA1 on the desktop I got an error message "volume is dirty forced to continue"
4. I couldnt find either of my DVD drives on the "explorer" type program, although they showed up in the burner.
Ive tried reading the FAQs on here but have not been able to sort out the various problems I had with Knoppix above.
Also someone suggested I might be able to try and repair the XP problem from within Knoppix using a program called FixNTFS or similar, but I could not find this at all or anything else suitable to try now Ive burned the dvd.
Any help would be great on any of these issues - I must admit I am impressed with Knoppix and intend when all is sorted to learn more about it on a new partition on my drive.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-02-2006, 06:08 PM
-
By GbaDoctor in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-19-2005, 07:52 AM
-
By Aman in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-26-2004, 05:16 AM
-
By Coume in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-24-2003, 06:59 AM
-
By mwalam in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-09-2003, 01:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys
$16.99

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$167.63

Compressed Air Duster 1 Button Adjustment 12000 RPM Air Blower Car Home Keyboard
$38.99

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

Cordless Electric Mini Air Duster Blower Vacuum Cleaner for PC Computer Car Home
$16.99

Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER
$21.99

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$106.14