Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Printer Hell

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Printer Hell

    In trying to update printer drivers, I have broken printing on my Debian Knoppix 3.7 install. Arrgh!

    I seem to have made some headway in getting associated cups files reinstalled. But now I keep getting this error message

    " Depends: cupsys-driver-gimpprint (=4.2.7-10) but 5.0.0-3 is to be installed "

    when I try to reinstall the 4.2.7-10 gimpprint driver.

    How do I fix this?

    I have even extracted a backup made a few weeks ago. I could if necessary copy the necessary files and directories from the backup.

    SakiZ

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Making Progress (I Hope)

    Ok, after purging my system of CUPS and reinstalling it, the CUPS server is running

    When I do "cupsd" from a Konsole, I get no error messages.

    It lets me install a driver for the printer, but it is still not printing.

    But the error log in Var/log/ gives me this:

    E [30/Nov/2006:09:25:16 -0500] cupsdAddCert: Unable to create certificate file /var/run/cups/certs/0 - No such file or directory

    So something still isn't kosher.

    Any ideas from the Linux gurus out there?

    SakiZ

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    While we're waiting for the gurus to arrive, I was wondering what kind of printer you have (Parallel, USB etc) and a bit more about your setup - are you running from a hard drive installation or from the 3.7 Live CD?

    Knowing the kernel your running might also be helpful.

    I'm not sure the cert message is responsible for your inability to print. When I sam your original post I was going to suggest reinstalling cupsys and cupsys-driver-gimpprint from unstable (apt-get -t unstable install cupsys-......) But since you've done that and can get the daemon running, that might not help either.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Solved, I Think. cupsd: Child exited with status 98!

    OK, this was a lot harder doing than what I am going to say. Basically I, purged all printer related drivers. Then I installed version 1.1.23 of cupsys and everything else that had been v. 1.25.

    This required downloading a deb of cupsys 1.1.23 file from Debian and following numerous error messages in package manager that kept it from installing. I'd get a message saying this file was preventing the downgrade, so then I'd have to remove that and it would in turn remove other files. I did this numerous times.

    I ended up with a system completely stripped of all printing files.

    Then I could install cupsys 1.1.23. After that, the gimp drivers, foomatic, etc. It's a downgraded printing system that a pure Debian Sarge system uses.

    At 11:30 last night I was still fiddling with the system trying to get it to print. I was not getting anything to print after all that.

    This morning I tried again, and lo and behold the printer started printing gibberish. I checked and the printer was installed as a raw printer. Hmm, I selected the gimp drivers.....again! It took and.................drum roll..............I can print now.

    The printer is an Epson C80 parallel port. I'm using the venerable 2.4.27 kernel.

    There is one last item. I get an error message when I do "cupsd" : cupsd: Child exited with status 98!

    But, like I say, I can print now. Is my error message critical? Why am I getting it? How do I fix that?

    Or, should I leave well enough alone at this point?

    SakiZ

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    I think the child process error means that cupsd is already running, you can confirm this by opening a shell and typing: ps-A|grep cupsd

    Otherwise , sound like your all set.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Thanks!

    ps -A|grep cupsd shows that all is well.

    Thanks! Whew. I don't want to go through that again.

    SakiZ

Similar Threads

  1. Frozen bubble hell--help!
    By Freitag in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 12:31 AM
  2. gaim .deb .rpm hell
    By dvryknopper in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 09:59 PM
  3. I am in hell, Trust me.
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 06:25 AM
  4. Java Upgrade Hell
    By Arkaein in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 04:00 AM
  5. Everything goes to hell after ppoe install... plz help me
    By Jackson5 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-30-2003, 05:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00