-
Senior Member
registered user
Printer Hell
In trying to update printer drivers, I have broken printing on my Debian Knoppix 3.7 install. Arrgh!
I seem to have made some headway in getting associated cups files reinstalled. But now I keep getting this error message
" Depends: cupsys-driver-gimpprint (=4.2.7-10) but 5.0.0-3 is to be installed "
when I try to reinstall the 4.2.7-10 gimpprint driver.
How do I fix this?
I have even extracted a backup made a few weeks ago. I could if necessary copy the necessary files and directories from the backup.
SakiZ
-
Senior Member
registered user
Making Progress (I Hope)
Ok, after purging my system of CUPS and reinstalling it, the CUPS server is running
When I do "cupsd" from a Konsole, I get no error messages.
It lets me install a driver for the printer, but it is still not printing.
But the error log in Var/log/ gives me this:
E [30/Nov/2006:09:25:16 -0500] cupsdAddCert: Unable to create certificate file /var/run/cups/certs/0 - No such file or directory
So something still isn't kosher.
Any ideas from the Linux gurus out there?
SakiZ
-
Senior Member
registered user
While we're waiting for the gurus to arrive, I was wondering what kind of printer you have (Parallel, USB etc) and a bit more about your setup - are you running from a hard drive installation or from the 3.7 Live CD?
Knowing the kernel your running might also be helpful.
I'm not sure the cert message is responsible for your inability to print. When I sam your original post I was going to suggest reinstalling cupsys and cupsys-driver-gimpprint from unstable (apt-get -t unstable install cupsys-......) But since you've done that and can get the daemon running, that might not help either.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Solved, I Think. cupsd: Child exited with status 98!
OK, this was a lot harder doing than what I am going to say. Basically I, purged all printer related drivers. Then I installed version 1.1.23 of cupsys and everything else that had been v. 1.25.
This required downloading a deb of cupsys 1.1.23 file from Debian and following numerous error messages in package manager that kept it from installing. I'd get a message saying this file was preventing the downgrade, so then I'd have to remove that and it would in turn remove other files. I did this numerous times.
I ended up with a system completely stripped of all printing files.
Then I could install cupsys 1.1.23. After that, the gimp drivers, foomatic, etc. It's a downgraded printing system that a pure Debian Sarge system uses.
At 11:30 last night I was still fiddling with the system trying to get it to print. I was not getting anything to print after all that.
This morning I tried again, and lo and behold the printer started printing gibberish. I checked and the printer was installed as a raw printer. Hmm, I selected the gimp drivers.....again! It took and.................drum roll..............I can print now.
The printer is an Epson C80 parallel port. I'm using the venerable 2.4.27 kernel.
There is one last item. I get an error message when I do "cupsd" : cupsd: Child exited with status 98!
But, like I say, I can print now. Is my error message critical? Why am I getting it? How do I fix that?
Or, should I leave well enough alone at this point? 
SakiZ
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think the child process error means that cupsd is already running, you can confirm this by opening a shell and typing: ps-A|grep cupsd
Otherwise , sound like your all set.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks!
ps -A|grep cupsd shows that all is well.
Thanks! Whew. I don't want to go through that again.
SakiZ
Similar Threads
-
By Freitag in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-25-2006, 12:31 AM
-
By dvryknopper in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-16-2006, 09:59 PM
-
By Schopenhauer101 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 01-18-2005, 06:25 AM
-
By Arkaein in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 03-30-2004, 04:00 AM
-
By Jackson5 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-30-2003, 05:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server
$100.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF Server (256GB NVME, 8GB RAM, i5-7500 @ 3.8Ghz)
$75.00

Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.
$197.00

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book
$37.49