-
Senior Member
registered user
Solved, I Think. cupsd: Child exited with status 98!
OK, this was a lot harder doing than what I am going to say. Basically I, purged all printer related drivers. Then I installed version 1.1.23 of cupsys and everything else that had been v. 1.25.
This required downloading a deb of cupsys 1.1.23 file from Debian and following numerous error messages in package manager that kept it from installing. I'd get a message saying this file was preventing the downgrade, so then I'd have to remove that and it would in turn remove other files. I did this numerous times.
I ended up with a system completely stripped of all printing files.
Then I could install cupsys 1.1.23. After that, the gimp drivers, foomatic, etc. It's a downgraded printing system that a pure Debian Sarge system uses.
At 11:30 last night I was still fiddling with the system trying to get it to print. I was not getting anything to print after all that.
This morning I tried again, and lo and behold the printer started printing gibberish. I checked and the printer was installed as a raw printer. Hmm, I selected the gimp drivers.....again! It took and.................drum roll..............I can print now.
The printer is an Epson C80 parallel port. I'm using the venerable 2.4.27 kernel.
There is one last item. I get an error message when I do "cupsd" : cupsd: Child exited with status 98!
But, like I say, I can print now. Is my error message critical? Why am I getting it? How do I fix that?
Or, should I leave well enough alone at this point? 
SakiZ
Similar Threads
-
By Freitag in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-25-2006, 12:31 AM
-
By dvryknopper in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-16-2006, 09:59 PM
-
By Schopenhauer101 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 01-18-2005, 06:25 AM
-
By Arkaein in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 03-30-2004, 04:00 AM
-
By Jackson5 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-30-2003, 05:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health
$187.00

Samsung Odyssey Neo G95NA - OEM Stand - BN96-51632B
$125.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI
$85.00

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2133 PC4-2133P ECC Registered RDIMM 288-Pin 15-102217-01
$239.00

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77