Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: black screen, used boot cheat codes

  1. #11
    Gah, I'm using the v. 5.0.1 CD, so maybe that thread isn't relevant.

    Maybe I should abondon knoppix and look into Debian as you suggested Harry.

    I don't know. I'm new to all of this.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264

    Re: black screen, used boot cheat codes

    Quote Originally Posted by famousnation
    I have an uncorrupted iso image CD, correctly burned. However, when knoppix boots it seems to be successful, yet after I am given a brief message about windows xp the screen flicks to black.
    I just booted a slightly older slower (small hard drive) system
    and the last thing you see, in pretty blue
    is the

    Starting the X Window System

    which would be just before it kicks into to gui mode

    I'd be going with looking at re-fresh rates
    one of my systems auto started at 100hz, which is ok, except i hadn't set my monitor to be centered there
    put it back to 75hz and it was fine

    now, that system part of X in
    /etc/X11
    I hink it's xorg.conf you want to check for enabling unavailable desktop sizes
    so that would be where you might limit refresh rates

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5
    You are not the only one with this problem. I have some new built PCs in my classroom that have ASUS A9250 AGP Video cards. The intent was to demonstrate how PCs with only a CD-ROM and no Hard Drive could still be used to access the Internet using the Knoppix disk.
    I encountered exactly the same problem as you, and have been unable to troubleshoot the problem so far using cheat codes.


    Monitor (tried several different models) and video card characteristics are recognized during the boot, and I can complete a boot to Mode 2. Any attempt to initiate startx results in black screen.

    A significant commonality is that both of the Video cards are using ATI technology.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. BLack Screen after boot
    By Aspra in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 11:57 PM
  2. Black Screen on Boot
    By RDReavis in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 09:12 PM
  3. Setting default boot Cheat Codes
    By cld in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 01:45 PM
  4. Black screen on boot
    By alexx-rc1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 10:07 AM
  5. Black screen during the boot
    By Sigmatador in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 04:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025

$22.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



NEW Sealed Toshiba N300 Pro 10TB NAS HDD 7200RPM picture

NEW Sealed Toshiba N300 Pro 10TB NAS HDD 7200RPM

$299.99



Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5in HDD, Low Power-On Hours picture

Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5in HDD, Low Power-On Hours

$49.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION* picture

Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION*

$319.79



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive picture

Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive

$63.99