Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Using a wireless router

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8

    Using a wireless router

    Hi, I am new to Knoppix , so please be patient. I am running version 4.0.2 as a Live-CD. I live in a student dorm. and we have free wireless in the building. Knoppix detects my wireless card (Intel Pro BG 2200) so I can connect to the Internet. I was wondering if using a wireless router would help speed up the connection, which is sometimes quite slow? I looked at the D-Link DI-524 but don't know if this is good or even if it would help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Unless you also have a wired ethernet connection then a router will not only not help speed you up, but it will not connect to the wireless system.

    There are wireless devices that will connect to the wireless system, these are generally called bridges, but there are some appliances for ethernet based console games that will work too. These might help if your slow connection on your computer is due to poor signal or tiny antenna in a pcmcia card, as they could be positioned for a good signal and left in position. However, as seems likely, the slow speed is just due to either limited bandwidth provided by the wireless or too many users on the wireless system, then even a bridge will not help you.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8
    thanks Harry, I appreciate the speedy response and good advice. I have been trying Knoppix now for about 6 weeks and really love it!! Once I have learned more about Linux in general I hope to move on and install a Debian based distro on my hard drive. Keep up the good work.

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless card configured, can't ping router
    By Chief_Wiggum in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 07:28 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2006, 08:03 AM
  3. Acer Aspire 3000Wci wireless is on does not see my router?
    By atomicbluefish in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 09:07 PM
  4. NETGEAR Router... Belkin Wireless adapter...
    By Chadsfunkin5 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 06:44 PM
  5. Anyone use a router?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Networking
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08