Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Help needed - I totally fried my grub...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5

    Help needed - I totally fried my grub...

    OK, here's the scenario....

    I have been using a dual boot system from one 160 GB hard drive. I have three partitions. The first is hda1 with Windows XP. Then I have my Debian sarge loaded into hda2. I couldn't get past how easy it was to work with both systems using Knoppix so I created a third partition using qtparted and loaded a knoppix boot there. (I know, knoppix is supposed to be used from CD/DVD but the basic setup is sufficient for my needs and I have already scratched up 3 CD's and DVD's and had plenty of disk space so I figured why not?)

    Loaded Knoppix into the third partition and it booted fine. The problem is that it no longer showed my Debian partition, just Knoppix and the XP boots. I read that there was a workaround for fixing the Debian mbr and from knoppix did the root console, start grub, root (hd0,1), setup (hd0), then reboot.

    I'm a total Linux noob I know so you can imagine my surprise when I tried to reboot and all I get is a little smiley face at the bottom of the screen .

    Well, at least I still have one working Knoppix CD left so any help here would be appreciated.

    I'm going to keep scouring google for potential help. I will be checking back. Any ideas other than the obvious "Well, you pretty much screwed up so you might as well start from scratch" and I will be forever in your debt.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: Help needed - I totally fried my grub...

    Quote Originally Posted by thaumielx72
    Loaded Knoppix into the third partition and it booted fine. The problem is that it no longer showed my Debian partition, just Knoppix and the XP boots.
    That's right - and a pity. Knoppix-installer adds Windows partitions automatically to the GRUB but not Linux partitions

    But the situation is not very bad and is easy to fix. First you can add Debian to be booted from Knoppix's GRUB and then reboot to Debian and install Debian's GRUB if you prefer it.

    If you don't know how Debian can be booted, just mount /dev/hda2 look how
    /boot/grub/menu.lst looks and add Debian section to the corresponding Knoppix's Grub and save the file. Your Debian section looks like this:
    Code:
    # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
    # linux installation on /dev/hda2.
    title           Debian (on /dev/hda2)
    root            (hd0,1)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2
    initrd          /boot/initrd.img
    savedefault
    boot
    So you need an editor to do this all and the easiest one is Midnight Commander what you can start from the console sudo mc. You must have root priviledges to do changes to you menu.lst file.

    -tapsa-

Similar Threads

  1. totally-usb system
    By HackMaster in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-23-2005, 11:50 AM
  2. Totally New
    By tfoso in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 08:28 PM
  3. totally new to knoppix ='(
    By shakejello in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 05:12 PM
  4. Totally lost
    By Mustang64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 08:13 PM
  5. Knoppix Fried GeForce 4 Ti 4200!
    By igs in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-24-2004, 08:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95