Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Chroot Problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1

    Chroot Problem

    I am trying to remaster KNOPPIX by following this wiki page:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto.

    I copied the /KNOPPIX directory to my local hard drive using this command:
    cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/sda1/knoppix-cd/KNOPPIX/

    BTW: This hard drive is FAT32 is that why when I made a KNOPPIX directory it appeared as knoppix. Can I even do this from FAT32?

    Then I tried to chroot into that directory by:
    chroot /mnt/sda1/knoppix-cd/knoppix/ I get:
    chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

    So, I tried running /mnt/sda1/knoppix-cd/knoppix/bin/bash and it works fine.

    Here is what I did:
    root@2[knoppix-cd]# chroot knoppix/
    chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory
    root@2[knoppix-cd]# ls knoppix/bin/bash
    knoppix/bin/bash
    root@2[knoppix-cd]# chroot /mnt/sda1/knoppix-cd/knoppix/
    chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory
    root@2[knoppix-cd]# ls /mnt/sda1/knoppix-cd/knoppix/bin/bash
    /mnt/sda1/knoppix-cd/knoppix/bin/bash
    root@2[knoppix-cd]# cd knoppix/
    root@2[knoppix]# chroot ./
    chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory
    root@2[knoppix]# ./bin/bash
    root@2[knoppix]#


    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

    David

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7
    Check the permissions to see if it's executable.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    Your problem is due to the use of different letter cases as follows:

    You did:

    cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/sda1/knoppix-cd/KNOPPIX/
    Then
    chroot /mnt/sda1/knoppix-cd/knoppix/

    But, it should be:

    chroot /mnt/sda1/knoppix-cd/KNOPPIX/

Similar Threads

  1. chroot problem
    By frustrated user in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 09:58 PM
  2. chroot / hostname problem
    By bertheylen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2006, 04:17 AM
  3. chroot problem
    By Gandalf_Grey_ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:53 AM
  4. chroot problem. I looked for solution i cant find any.
    By estranged in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-13-2003, 10:54 PM
  5. To chroot or not to chroot
    By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



Ibm Computer Tower picture

Ibm Computer Tower

$400.00



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM iDataPlex dx360 M4 with 4× Xeon E5-2680 v2, 128 GB RAM, 2× QLogic picture

IBM iDataPlex dx360 M4 with 4× Xeon E5-2680 v2, 128 GB RAM, 2× QLogic

$149.00



IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER picture

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER

$349.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$281.25