As root, I run smbpasswd first for root, then for my other users.
smbpasswd root
then
smbpasswd username
rock
Hi everyone,
I've set up knoppix on my hd, and set it up as a samba server, samba work's fine however, I can't get it to accept a samba password. In redhat, normally you set up the smbpasswd with cat /etc/passwd | mkpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd, then smbpasswd user. However, since I'm fairly new to debian I don't know the correct command to use.
Many thank's in advance,
Dave S.
As root, I run smbpasswd first for root, then for my other users.
smbpasswd root
then
smbpasswd username
rock
Rock,
Sorry, I didn't get back to you before this, but away on a 5 day trip. Anyway, even as root, I still can't set my smbpasswd, as it states that there is no listing for my users ( I have added them to the group).
Thank's
Dave S.
Hello everyone,
Well I finally got my smbpasswd working, I did a fresh install, added my group and users (before updating my samba packages), set my smbpasswd for root and knoppix-no problem, however, still would not accept my added users passwords. The difference was when it allowed me to set root and knoppix, it created the smbpasswd file(instead of being blank), this allowed me to add my users(using nobody as an example). After this editing I was then able to set my smbpasswd for my users.
Dave S.

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
$280.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00
Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99
Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99
Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99