-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
sincity2k
Is etch pretty reliable?...
Etch is extremely reliable. Although it's currently called "testing", Debian is known to be over conservative in this area,. And Etch is scheduled to become the new "stable" version by years end (at which time I expect I'll start advising people to go for the "new testing" version istead).

Originally Posted by
sincity2k
How exactly does it work??? will it download everything and then I have to burn it to a disc or what exactly? Thanks for the replies. I will always have my knoppix DVD just as I imagine you guys do also.
Net-install downloads about a 100 meg iso, a light weight Linux system that then goes on-line and installs everything else that you want from the Internet. You don't burn any full discs (you might even want to put the net-install iso on a CDRW to not waste any discs). If you want a GUI desktop I suggest that you select the desktop option durning the install, which will install Gnome. You can later apt-get install kde or any other desktop or application that you want. Of course, you can download and burn the ISO images of Debian CDs or even DVD too, but I see little reason to do that; the discs just get out of date and you are much better off using apt-get to install and update right from the Internet. The discs would be fine if you were in a position that you didn't have Internet access, but if you have high speed access I find it nicer to do the net-install. By the way, if you have dsl then be sure to have a router, I don't think that the net-install supports all of the dsl pppoe setup you would need without one.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By mors in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-21-2005, 09:25 AM
-
By kernco in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-05-2005, 08:35 AM
-
By kgw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-05-2004, 02:37 AM
-
By miazmaticdotcom in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 04:25 PM
-
By cesman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage
$79.99

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00