-
Senior Member
registered user
System Sees SATA partitions but can't mount them!
Well, my SATA drive experiments have been successful up to this point.
I installed a SATA 3Ware controller card, and a Seagate 320 gigabyte drive, set up all the partitions. I did this in Windows.
In Linux I used modconf to enable the 3Ware 3w-xxxx driver. At that point the system recognizes the many partitions on the drive when I do fdisk -l.
As you can see:
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 1020 8193118+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda2 1021 37312 291515490 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda3 37313 38913 12860032+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda5 1021 7975 55866006 b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda6 7976 14290 50725206 b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda7 14291 20316 48403813+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda8 20317 26634 50749303+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda9 26635 32949 50725206 b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda10 32950 33844 7189056 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda11 33845 37312 27856678+ b W95 FAT32
I have started to setup mount points but cant get the partition to mount. On /dev/sda1 for example, I get this message:
mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
Of course, it's not a special device, it a hard drive. What's THAT about?
Is there a different format for fstab entries for SATA?
Note, I am not trying to boot from the SATA drive. I am only trying to mount it's partitions and access it.
SakiZ
Similar Threads
-
By woodsmoke in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-17-2010, 06:22 AM
-
By fergus in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-13-2007, 09:30 AM
-
By Linuxtester in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-06-2004, 04:37 PM
-
By fourthirtysix in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-24-2004, 03:24 AM
-
By poopyman67 in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 03-26-2004, 12:59 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 40 Cores Unlim CAL Retail License Authentic
$299.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00