Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: mount rw not working

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6

    mount rw not working

    I have a crashed linux server (crashed during a thunder storm after the power went and came back repeatedly and would not reboot). I have tried several times to mount the partition on to read and write with no success. We are recovering the data right now with Knoppix using only the partition on read but some very important files were locked by the root user. We need to be able to write so we can change the permissions and unlocked those files. I've tried from the console to remount the partition but the computer freezes. I tried changing the icon on the knoppix desktop to fire up as read and write and the server crashes as soon as I click on it. Either way I end up rebooting the darn thing. I am using the standard command:
    Code:
    sudo mount -o remount,dev,rw /mnt/hda3 (without the 'remount' when I've tried just to mount it)
    Wha can I do? I really need those files. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6
    forgot to mention that the partition is a ReiserFS partition

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6
    I tried this command as well:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t reiserfs -o rw /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5
    and did not work either...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    After a default mount (only read) try the remountrw command.
    I guess this command require you've to be under X, since it make use of pop-up windows.
    It is the default command when in KDE you right click on 'device-icon/actions/make device writable'.

Similar Threads

  1. Mount home file with cheatcode not working???? Please help
    By echromes in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 02:16 AM
  2. nfs mount: mount: RPC: Program not registered
    By markpelletier in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
  3. Hard drive won't mount after previously working properly
    By decalvas in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 02:26 AM
  4. working with Knoppix, mount HD, instal software..
    By a_hic in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 01:08 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming motherboard Z390 LGA1151 DDR4 64G HDMI M-ATX  picture

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming motherboard Z390 LGA1151 DDR4 64G HDMI M-ATX

$90.00



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99