Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: mount rw not working

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6

    mount rw not working

    I have a crashed linux server (crashed during a thunder storm after the power went and came back repeatedly and would not reboot). I have tried several times to mount the partition on to read and write with no success. We are recovering the data right now with Knoppix using only the partition on read but some very important files were locked by the root user. We need to be able to write so we can change the permissions and unlocked those files. I've tried from the console to remount the partition but the computer freezes. I tried changing the icon on the knoppix desktop to fire up as read and write and the server crashes as soon as I click on it. Either way I end up rebooting the darn thing. I am using the standard command:
    Code:
    sudo mount -o remount,dev,rw /mnt/hda3 (without the 'remount' when I've tried just to mount it)
    Wha can I do? I really need those files. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6
    forgot to mention that the partition is a ReiserFS partition

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6
    I tried this command as well:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t reiserfs -o rw /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5
    and did not work either...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    After a default mount (only read) try the remountrw command.
    I guess this command require you've to be under X, since it make use of pop-up windows.
    It is the default command when in KDE you right click on 'device-icon/actions/make device writable'.

Similar Threads

  1. Mount home file with cheatcode not working???? Please help
    By echromes in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 02:16 AM
  2. nfs mount: mount: RPC: Program not registered
    By markpelletier in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
  3. Hard drive won't mount after previously working properly
    By decalvas in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 02:26 AM
  4. working with Knoppix, mount HD, instal software..
    By a_hic in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 01:08 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$16.41



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



TP-LINK TL-SG108PE 8-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Managed PoE+ Switch 4-Port 64W picture

TP-LINK TL-SG108PE 8-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Managed PoE+ Switch 4-Port 64W

$24.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99