Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: mount rw not working

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6

    mount rw not working

    I have a crashed linux server (crashed during a thunder storm after the power went and came back repeatedly and would not reboot). I have tried several times to mount the partition on to read and write with no success. We are recovering the data right now with Knoppix using only the partition on read but some very important files were locked by the root user. We need to be able to write so we can change the permissions and unlocked those files. I've tried from the console to remount the partition but the computer freezes. I tried changing the icon on the knoppix desktop to fire up as read and write and the server crashes as soon as I click on it. Either way I end up rebooting the darn thing. I am using the standard command:
    Code:
    sudo mount -o remount,dev,rw /mnt/hda3 (without the 'remount' when I've tried just to mount it)
    Wha can I do? I really need those files. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6
    forgot to mention that the partition is a ReiserFS partition

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6
    I tried this command as well:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t reiserfs -o rw /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5
    and did not work either...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    After a default mount (only read) try the remountrw command.
    I guess this command require you've to be under X, since it make use of pop-up windows.
    It is the default command when in KDE you right click on 'device-icon/actions/make device writable'.

Similar Threads

  1. Mount home file with cheatcode not working???? Please help
    By echromes in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 02:16 AM
  2. nfs mount: mount: RPC: Program not registered
    By markpelletier in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
  3. Hard drive won't mount after previously working properly
    By decalvas in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 02:26 AM
  4. working with Knoppix, mount HD, instal software..
    By a_hic in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 01:08 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1690.40



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$105.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$452.53



Western Digital 1TB SSD, PC SN730 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 2280 SDBPNTY-1T00 WD picture

Western Digital 1TB SSD, PC SN730 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 2280 SDBPNTY-1T00 WD

$99.50



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 1TB, SDSSDH3 2.5

SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 1TB, SDSSDH3 2.5" SSD Drive SATA III 6GB/S (SDSSDH3-1T02)

$138.56